General support questions
GioMBG

CentOS 7 crash in Yum update at selinux

Post by GioMBG » 2018/05/13 15:01:20

Hi All,
my machine crash in update

Code: Select all

yum update
the process stop when was at the line regarding selinux, from that time I can't log in by ssh on machine :

ssh: connect to host machine port 22: Connection refused
for my lucky and thanking my Angel the ftp demon is active so before do anything, ( es. forcing a reboot )
I performing a backup of all my data...
after that I will make what You suggest, maybe forcing a button reset to try reboot the machine ( I hope )
thanks to ALL for suggestions in how to do / try
thanks
Gio

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS 7 crash in Yum update at selinux

Post by TrevorH » 2018/05/13 15:09:30

Updating the selinux packages rebuilds the policy and requires a lot of RAM - more than 400MB last time I watched it. If your machine is low on RAM then add more (or more swap). Or split the updates into chunks and do them in batches, selinux packages in one batch for example.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

GioMBG

Post by GioMBG » 2018/05/13 15:49:03

hi TrevorH.
first thanks to reply always very fast,
the ram is 64 Gbyte and the selinux was disabled, although the fact that it was disabled probably did not matter...
Knowing the status for you will reboot ?
the Connection after 2 hours is always refused, can be that she is swapping yet ?
always thanks
Gio

GioMBG

Post by GioMBG » 2018/05/13 23:25:43

NOTICE : the system after an hardware reset don't boot,
any suggestions ?
thx

tunk

Post by tunk » 2018/05/14 15:02:17

What do you mean by "hardware reset"? E.g.:
- cycling power
- BIOS reset to default

What do you mean by "don't boot"? E.g.:
- does the GRUB menu come up
- if so, does the rescue kernel work

GioMBG

Post by GioMBG » 2018/05/14 21:38:14

Hi All,
understand what happen by do the same Yum update on another "clone" that differently from the crashed machine understand alone the at least "strange" boot situation :

Totale                                                                                                                                        95 MB/s | 270 MB  00:00:02     
Running transaction check
Running transaction test

Transaction check error:
  installing package kernel-3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64 needs 2MB on the /boot filesystem

Riepilogo errori
----------------
Requisiti disco:
  Servono almeno altri 2MB sul filesystem /boot.
in Hetzner robot "hardware reset" is the same when you reset your standalone computer,
just try to do that and the machine go online with ftp but noting on port:80 and also impossible to log in in ssh,
also I can understand about php, sql, html etc. but about these things boot, grub etc. I'm a Perfect Newbie,
I can try to enter resque but I need your instructions from 0 ( zero ) like starting the cmd to show the partitions etc.

also I going to a new post about

yum-utils
package-cleanup --oldkernels --count=2 
in yum.conf
to understand better and not doing another problem.

Really thanks
Gio

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/05/15 14:45:02

GioMBG wrote:Hi All,
understand what happen by do the same Yum update on another "clone" that differently from the crashed machine understand alone the at least "strange" boot situation :

Totale                                                                                                                                        95 MB/s | 270 MB  00:00:02     
Running transaction check
Running transaction test

Transaction check error:
  installing package kernel-3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64 needs 2MB on the /boot filesystem

Riepilogo errori
----------------
Requisiti disco:
  Servono almeno altri 2MB sul filesystem /boot.
in Hetzner robot "hardware reset" is the same when you reset your standalone computer,
just try to do that and the machine go online with ftp but noting on port:80 and also impossible to log in in ssh,
also I can understand about php, sql, html etc. but about these things boot, grub etc. I'm a Perfect Newbie,
I can try to enter resque but I need your instructions from 0 ( zero ) like starting the cmd to show the partitions etc.

also I going to a new post about

yum-utils
package-cleanup --oldkernels --count=2 
in yum.conf
to understand better and not doing another problem.

Really thanks
Gio
Transaction check error:
installing package kernel-3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64 needs 2MB
on the /boot filesystem

Just as a matter of curiosity exactly how much disk space did you allocate to /boot? Starting in RHEL /CentOS 7.4 Red Hat recommends that you allocate at least 2 GB but not less than 1GB. Judging from your post it *looks* as though you are short by 2 MB, and there for it can't boot. To show your partitions from the command-line type df -m . It will show you the TOTAL amount of space (in MB) allocated; how much of that total has been USED; and finally how much of that total is still AVAILABLE.

As another matter of curiosity you state you are a "Perfect Newbie". Did you install the system or did someone else install it for you?? If someone installed it for you do they have at least a couple of years of working with Linux?

GioMBG

Post by GioMBG » 2018/05/16 10:00:33

Just as a matter of curiosity exactly how much disk space did you allocate to /boot? Starting in RHEL /CentOS 7.4 Red Hat recommends that you allocate at least 2 GB but not less than 1GB. Judging from your post it *looks* as though you are short by 2 MB, and there for it can't boot. To show your partitions from the command-line type df -m . It will show you the TOTAL amount of space (in MB) allocated; how much of that total has been USED; and finally how much of that total is still AVAILABLE.

As another matter of curiosity you state you are a "Perfect Newbie". Did you install the system or did someone else install it for you?? If someone installed it for you do they have at least a couple of years of working with Linux?
Hi ,
trhanks for the reply,
I install the CentOS EXACTLY by default image as hetzner have say that is,
yes I am Newbie about partitions and of course I did not go around to boot to modify some think that I expect is ok as an original default CentOS image...
I know how to configure my machines in hours and I have linux experiences of 20 years but I'm not mandrake and there is some thing I don't know like boot and partitions and so I've leaved untouched also is the FIRST time that I remain out at now I cant run any cmd becuase is impossible to login ssh
Question : is difficult to allocate more memory to boot in reque mode ?
thx
Gio