Need Help: Xorg.0.log Puzzle

General support questions
desertcat

Need Help: Xorg.0.log Puzzle

Post by desertcat » 2018/05/21 04:07:27

Well I successfully rolled over the system to 7.5, but now I have a head scratcher I hope someone out there can help me with:

I have done two (2) installs of CentOS 7.5: One was on jaguar a.k.a. The Trashcan Monster. That was done from a FRESH INSTALL using the DVD.iso A review of /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows the file to be stable and NOT growing in a runaway process (which was why I switched to sddm in the first place). The Machine has an Intel Q6600 quad core processor. The second machine is leopard, that was the machine I just rolledover to 7.5. A review of /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows it GROWING once again in a RUNAWAY process which will soon consume my entire /var partition. Leopard has an AMD FX-6300 hexacore processor.

This was what I was afraid of and there seems to be no way for me to access sddm and get it to work. Nor can I get lightdm to work either. The ONLY display manager that seems to work as of now is gdm. I would appreciate it very much if you could check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log files and see if they are A) Stable and NOT Growing, or UNSTABLE and ARE Growing
B) State if you did a Fresh Install from the DVD.iso, or if you rolled over your machine from 7.4=> 7.5
C) If your Processor is Intel or AMD
D) If you have /var/log/Xorg.0.log running as a runaway process, and you some how SOLVED the problem and stopped it from growing tell me HOW you solved the problem.
E) If you have somehow got an alternate display manager (sddm, lightdm, etc.) to run, and if so HOW!!!

Thanks for your help.
Sincerely
DesertCat

desertcat

Re: Need Help: Xorg.0.log Puzzle

Post by desertcat » 2018/05/21 05:17:30

Well part of the Puzzle Has now been Solved: After a brain storming session with my buddy I changed from KDE to GNOME and then checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log: In KDE /var/log/Xorg.0.log is in fact GROWING; when I switched to GNOME it STOPPED GROWING. It seems to GROW ONLY under KDE.

To my previous request could you please state if you are using KDE, GNOME, or "Other". If you are using GNOME could you login with KDE if you have it installed and again check to see if it is growing or not.

Thanks,

DesertCat