What Display Manager are Available for CentOS 7.5?

General support questions
desertcat

What Display Manager are Available for CentOS 7.5?

Post by desertcat » 2018/05/21 19:12:22

I'm curious: What Display Managers other than gdm are available for CentOS 7.5? sddm worked fine until 7.5 was released. In theory it is indeed installed when I run:

systemctl stop display-manager
systemctl disable gdm
systemctl enable sddm
systemctl start display-manager

The symlinks are created etc., but when you start the system instead of getting the sddm greeter etc., you get a BLACK SCREEN. If you hit Ctl+Alt+F2 it gives you a prompt. If you type user + password followed by startx it plunges you into GNOME while I want KDE, even though KDE is selected under gdm. I suspect that a link to Qt, which was present in 7.4 config file is missing in 7.5 -- or I no longer see a reference to it.

Likewise if I enable lightdm I still get a BLACK SCREEN eeveen though the necessary symlinks have been created. If someone has managed to get lightdm to run in 7.5 please post how you managed it.

There are at least 11 different Display Managers out there for Linux, and right now the ONLY one that seems to work is gdm, though in theory I should have access to both sddm and lightdm, I just can't get them to run even though in theory the necessary symliks have been created.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: What Display Manager are Available for CentOS 7.5?

Post by TrevorH » 2018/05/21 19:55:40

lightdm works for me
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

stevemowbray

Re: What Display Manager are Available for CentOS 7.5?

Post by stevemowbray » 2018/05/22 13:43:49

lightdm works for me too. Didn't have to do anything special when I updated to 7.5.