CentOS 7 stuck after bootloader

General support questions
sbaray16

CentOS 7 stuck after bootloader

Post by sbaray16 » 2018/06/20 14:46:53

I have used and installed the CentOS 7 for my labs and school work. I have used many different commands and configuration files to setup the entire server. The OS has been installed on a SATA drive and has been used to move from one computer to the other in a Lab environment. After I finished school I used it on my laptop to review some of the configuration files and settings I have previously accomplished. However, after it passes the Grub BootLoader screen I find my scroller at the top left side and nothing boots after that and it just keeps blinking. I have used a USB 2.0 Drive Mate to load the system into my laptop USB drive.

The screen I can pass is the intial grub bootloader with the following

CentOS Linux (3.10.0-229.14.1.e17.x86_64) 7 (Core)
CentOS Linux (3.10.0-229.14.1.e17.x86_64) 7 (Core) with debugging
CentOS Linux (Core), with Linux 3.10.0-229.e17.x86_64
CentOS Linux 7 (Core), with Linux 0-rescue-3e1638e9ea etc...

If I try any of them it just hangs with the scroll blinking at the top left corner.

When I try rescue (the last option) the screen blinks and everything loads OK until it gets to :

[ OK ] started virtualization daemon
[ OK ] started GNOME Display Manager
[ OK ] created slice user-0.slice
| <----scroll blinking

and sometimes when i press rescue it loads much more stuff [ OK ] and then hangs a little later here:

[ OK ] reached target Graphical Interface
| <-- scroll blinking

and stops there..

I really want to get it up and running so that I can review all my config files and setups and commands I've used in my labs...

any help is greatly appreciated...

My guess is something to do with the video settings or video card, but that's weird because the graphic settings looks fine when I press rescue

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS 7 stuck after bootloader

Post by TrevorH » 2018/06/20 15:10:01

Rescue uses the basic video driver that works with pretty much any video adapter. The actual install is probably set up to use a specific video adapter that is not present on all hardware. Pick one like the vesa driver that works with anything.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke