How to navigate text based EULA screen?

General support questions
taylorkh

How to navigate text based EULA screen?

Post by taylorkh » 2018/06/26 16:18:03

Today I had reason to install a "Gnome Desktop" from the CentOS 7.5 DVD. All went as usual up to the first boot. When the machine came up I found

Code: Select all

Initial setup of CentOS Linux 7 (Core)

1) [!] License information
		(License not accepted)
  Please make your choice from [ '1' to enter the License information spoke 'q' to quit |
  'c' to continue | 'r' to refresh]:
I entered 1 and <Enter> I now saw

License information

1) Read the License Agreement

[ ] 2) I accept the license agreement.

Please make your choice from above ['q' to quit | 'c' to continue |
  'r' to refresh
I tried to "accept" on an earlier iteration but that did not work. I entered 1 again and <Enter>. Now I am presented with

CentOS-7 EULA

CentOS-7 comes with ...
4 more lines of license speak
=============================
=============================
License information

1) Read the License Agreement
	[ ] 2) I accept the license agreement.

Please make your choice from above ['q' to quit | 'c' to continue |
	  'r' to refresh
I tried 2 several times to accept but I keep coming back to the same screen. WTF? I finally "q"uit and was warned that if I did the OS would not work and asked to confirm yes/no. I entered yes and the machine continued to boot successfully.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? The wording is very poor and confusing. If I do a minimal install, as I usually do to add my own desktop later, I see the EULA speak before I leave the initial installation GUI for the first boot. The above description represents the success path I found but not a lot of cussing and keyboard pounding along the way.

TIA,

Ken

taylorkh

Re: How to navigate text based EULA screen?

Post by taylorkh » 2018/06/26 16:49:13

Update:

I just built a Gnome Desktop virtual machine in VMWare using the same CentOS image. This time I was presented with the GUI license screen AFTER the first boot. Please disregard my comment about when it appears during the minimal install. I do that so often it is often in my sleep and I do not really know when/where/how it appears :mrgreen:

As to the physical machine - it has done this twice this morning. I had an issue installing 4 truckloads up updates and started over - and am having the same problem. Actually the VM - same package selection - is only trying to install about 1/3 the amount of updates as the physical machine. Perhaps the image on my flash drive is not what it is labeled.

I would STILL like to know how to navigate the messy wording as I have seen it several times before.

Thanks again,

Ken

avij
Retired Moderator

Post by avij » 2018/06/26 20:10:47

1 to enter the license page, 2 to put an X to the checkbox, then c to continue.

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2018/06/26 20:42:48

Thanks avil,

This is displayed at the command line. No mouse and I don't think the command line moves backward.

Ken

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2018/06/26 21:46:06

This has been one of those days. I was installing CentOS 7.5 Gnome on a test PC to try and debug a ProtonVPN vs. my ISP supplied DSL modem/router/firewall isseu. Ubuntu Mate works, CentOS + Mate does not. Thus I decided to install the Gnome desktop.

It seems that the image on my flash drive was 7.4 thus it tried to install almost a Gig of updates (and eventually stalled). Did it again and once more I found the strange license interface.

Then I burned the correct 7.5 image to the flash drive. Installed and presented the GUI license screen. ProtonVPN had the same issue. I was about to restore it to Ubuntu when your first reply came in. I decided to try again to navigate the text license interface.

I burned my 7.4 image to a flash drive and installed it on the same PC. GUI license screen! Did it twice. No text based screen??? The only thing I did differently was to allow the installer to use the whole disk. I generally have it partitioned:

/
/home
/data

On my first two 7.4 installs I re-used the / and /home partitions - formatted them - and left the /data partition alone. My second two 7.4 installs again used the whole disk. The machine has now be reimaged to Ubunt (using Clonezilla).

Next time I come across the text license screen I will try to remember to attempt navigating it and see what happens. I am not going LOOKING for it :(

Thanks again avij,

Ken

avij
Retired Moderator

Post by avij » 2018/06/27 06:41:56

I'm not sure about your other experiences, but as for the text mode EULA, you will indeed need to check the checkbox [ ]. That can be achieved by entering the appropriate number, 2. This does not need a mouse. After this is done (you will see [X]) you can continue.

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2018/06/29 14:35:35

Hello again avij,

I have installed CentOS several times over the past couple of days. I can NOT stumble across the text based license process :cry: I will keep your comments in the back of my mind and next time it happens I will refer back to this thread.

Thanks again,

Ken