Unable to install CentOS on my new Windows 10 computer

General support questions
osintern

Post by osintern » 2018/07/16 04:19:09

Hello Folks,

I just got a new windows computer with very heavy duty configuration with windows 10 PRO. I want to install CentOS on this computer.

1) I took the Centos ISO image and wrote it to a DVD
2) I tried booting from the DVD but the system does not detect the hardrive
3) It says "No Disks Selected" in the installation destination

I really want to get started on this so any and all the help would be very much appreciated. If this post is in the wrong thread I request the MODS to move it accurately rather than deleting it. Thanks.

tunk

Re: Unable to install CentOS on my new Windows 10 computer

Post by tunk » 2018/07/16 12:46:56

Are going to have a dual boot? If yes, maybe a virtual machine using e.g. virtualbox could be an alternative?
What's your hardware, specifically your disk and disk controller?

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/07/16 13:21:17

osintern wrote:
2018/07/16 04:19:09
Hello Folks,

I just got a new windows computer with very heavy duty configuration with windows 10 PRO. I want to install CentOS on this computer.

1) I took the Centos ISO image and wrote it to a DVD
2) I tried booting from the DVD but the system does not detect the hardrive
3) It says "No Disks Selected" in the installation destination

I really want to get started on this so any and all the help would be very much appreciated. If this post is in the wrong thread I request the MODS to move it accurately rather than deleting it. Thanks.
Just a quick trivia question: Did you go into BIOS and checked to make sure the DVD/CDROM was the 1st device detected. If so did you look to see what type of HDD or SSD was installed and the model ?? Did you make sure that the HDD/SSD was a bootable device?!? Is it set up as RAID or as a HDD/SSD?!? Does it have ONE DRIVE or more than one drive?!?

In a case such as yours the FIRST thing to do is check BIOS and make sure all parameters are correct. You should also see if the installed HDD has room on it and can be partitioned. If you want to cheat shell out about $50 -$100 and buy yourself an unformated HDD. Install in your heavy duty computer, disconnect the Windows Drive format your new drive, then run the CentOS install disk. It will detect the new drive and install CentOS on it. It also prevent you from accidentally formating your Windows HDD. Chances are the installed Windows drive is formatted in FAT 32 -- or whatever FS Windows uses. BE VERY CAREFUL about adding a different OS to a drive that contains Windows on especially if you are a new to this. A SAFER option is simply to get a new HDD and install CentOS on it and keep the two OS's physically apart from each other, Windows on one drive; CentOS 7 on the other. The other alternative would be to get an IT professional to install CentOS for you on the one drive. This is NOT a trivial project for someone new to Linux. You wipe out your Windows partition you are TOAST!!!

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/07/16 13:39:33

tunk wrote:
2018/07/16 12:46:56
Are going to have a dual boot? If yes, maybe a virtual machine using e.g. virtualbox could be an alternative?
What's your hardware, specifically your disk and disk controller?
Actually this is an EXCELLENT suggestion!!! Alternately you can install VMWare Player (FREE to Download and use), create a CentOS 7 VM, but as tunk says what exactly do you define as a "Heavy Duty" machine?? How big is your HDD, how many cores does the CPU have, and how much memory does it have? Is it a "home computer" or is some form of Workstation? If it is an Honest to God Workstation you can kick some butt with it. Installing Virtualbox or VMWare Player and create a CentOS 7 VM is an EXCELLENT idea especially if you play to use Windows as your primary OS. Dual booting off a single Windows Drive can be problematic as it might wipe out your Windows Bootloader and Install Grub2. With a VM you install a program such as VMWarwe Player, create the VM, and then when you want to fool around in CentOS you fire up the VM and be on your Merry way.

osintern

Post by osintern » 2018/07/16 16:21:59

Actually, I am not trying to double boot. I am just trying to rewrite the Centos software on the drive which has windows on it at the moment. Thanks and let me know if this changes things.

lightman47

Post by lightman47 » 2018/07/16 16:56:45

I suspect then, that you haven't 'selected' a disk (the Windows disk) during setup, and opted to reclaim the space. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS! Make sure that you wish to wipe Windows and install CentOS; there's no going back once you have and then choose to proceed with the install!

Additional info at setup:
If you'll want a GUI (graphic installation), that menu is also the same place where you decide & select software options. By default, you will NOT install a GUI; you must indicate you want it.

Be also aware that when you get to "the end" (writing boot record, I think) it takes a LONG time; I suspect it's doing a lot more than the boot record (perhaps journaling; I don't know). Patience counts. When you click the reboot/whatever button, it will 'spit out' the disk.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/07/16 19:55:29

osintern wrote:
2018/07/16 16:21:59
Actually, I am not trying to double boot. I am just trying to rewrite the Centos software on the drive which has windows on it at the moment. Thanks and let me know if this changes things.
lightman47 wrote:
2018/07/16 16:56:45
I suspect then, that you haven't 'selected' a disk (the Windows disk) during setup, and opted to reclaim the space. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS! Make sure that you wish to wipe Windows and install CentOS; there's no going back once you have and then choose to proceed with the install!

Additional info at setup:
If you'll want a GUI (graphic installation), that menu is also the same place where you decide & select software options. By default, you will NOT install a GUI; you must indicate you want it.

Be also aware that when you get to "the end" (writing boot record, I think) it takes a LONG time; I suspect it's doing a lot more than the boot record (perhaps journaling; I don't know). Patience counts. When you click the reboot/whatever button, it will 'spit out' the disk.
Assuming you want to get rid of Windows altogether it is as easy as using something like GParted and format the drive, but once Windows is GONE it's GONE!!! I have many computers that were hand-me-downs, or "rescued" that had Windows on them. Step 1: Format the drive. Step 2: Install Linux.

My question to you is you paid a lot of money for this "heavy duty" computer. Windows 10 Pro is NOT cheap!!! A good chunk of what you paid for that computer was for the OS, it is silly to wipe the drive, you are simply flushing good money down the drain. It makes more sense to to buy a new unformatted HDD for $50-$100, and install CentOS on it. As much as I hate Windows there are some programs that can ONLY be found on Windows or for the Mac, but not Linux. The intelligent thing to do is buy a new HDD or SSD. Disconnect you Windows Drive so that you don't accidentally format it, install your NEW HDD or SSD format and Install CentOS 7 on it, and have the GRUB2 bootloader on it, then hook up the Windows Drive then using either os-prober to see if it can find the Windows drive; or in the alternative create a 40_custom menu for your Windows drive which will add the Windows 10 Pro drive to the menu... even if you don't use it is there as a backup.

Because inquiring minds want to know, what type of hardware did you buy ie Who made it, type and make of cpu, amount of memory and is it DDR3 or DDR4, number of memory slots (usually 2 or 4), maximum memory capacity, size of the current HDD, graphics card if there is one installed, network installed, etc., etc., etc. In short the specs for your computer.

My last two computers one was a hand-me-down that "didn't work". It was an ex-HP workstation!!! I cleaned it up, reformatted the drive and installed CentOS 6 32 bit on it. The other was another HP workstation that was found by the dumpster. It was really and most sincerely DEAD and I was in the process of cannibalizing it for parts but thought I could maybe bring it back to life. I researched the thing (I know the EXACT date of manufacture) and each and every detail about it. I brought it back to life. For about $90 I have since doubled the processor from 2 core to 4, doubled the HDD from 250 GB to 500 GB, and almost maxed out the RAM to 6GB (max is 8 GB it originally had 1 GBin it :lol: :lol: ). Its future has buy one function: To serve as a gateway server. Currently it is serving as a test bed, as it runs CentOS 7.5. My Workstation OTOH has an AMD 6 core FX processor, 32 GB of DDR3 RAM, a middle of the road Nvidia Graphics card, a 1TB HDD, a 500 GB SSD with CentOS 7.5 on it, a 2TB HDD that is used solely for Backup (It is one single GIANT partition), and has a top end DVD drive. It was built from the ground up, and is not off the shelf. Some of the guys on this board have stuff that is truly exotic and put my workstation to shame. Best advice is get to know your computer, keep it CLEAN, and take good care of it. There was a saying during Viet Nam: Take good care of your equipment, and it will take good care of you.

Welcome to the board!! You have come to the right place for help!!!

osintern

Post by osintern » 2018/07/16 21:33:27

Thank you so much for the detailed post.

Can I use the below one?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-blue-2t ... Id=6220725

Below is the config of my PC. Please let me know if this will work and I will get it from the store. Thanks.

Quantity
Item Number
Description
210-ANRF
XPS 8930 Base
525-0036
McAfee Live Safe XPS 12 Month Subscription
801-1849
Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year
332-1530
Dell.com Order
332-0550
Dell.com Order
480-AACF
If accessories are purchased, they may ship separately
450-AAGO
US Power Cord
801-1802
Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year
658-BCSB
Microsoft(R) Office 30 Days Trial
658-BCCO
McAfee 30day Trial
338-BNDB
8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 6-Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.6 GHz)
619-AHCR
Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English
370-ADUB
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz (2X8GB)
400-AZJB
16GB Intel Optane SSD memory
321-BDFS
XPS 8930, Mainstream Chassis (460W)
400-AWGI
1TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
490-BCKU
Intel(R) HD Graphics
429-AAJV
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
510-BBCD
Integrated with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro
555-BDBY
802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
580-ADJC
Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black
520-AAAO
No speakers
570-AAOS
Dell USB Mouse
340-BYJT
Windows 10 Placemat
658-BCUJ
Additional Software
340-BWIO
DW1810 driver
340-AGIK
Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French Multi-language)
817-BBBB
No FGA
631-ABNU
Windows System driver, XPS 8930
328-BCJI
Direct Shipping
658-BBTV
CMS Essentials DVD no Media
389-CGJZ
Regulatory Label
389-DISU
Intel Core i7 Processor Label for Optane SSD/memory
340-ACQQ
No Option Included

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/07/17 08:28:12

As to your computer... NICE!!! DDR4 memory, real nice!! How many slots does it have 2 or 4?? If it is 4 you can blow that things up to 64 GB of RAM!!! If two up to 32 GB, though check with Dell they should be able to tell you what the max is. IF you plan on running any VM the more the better. That's using 16 GB SIMMS.

As to the HDD: A little secret that is no secret: buy your stuff from Newegg. Given that it is "Prime Day" you might be able to snag a really good deal on a 2 TB drive for lot less. As to the make. This is a toss up. I like Seagate Barracudas, I've had bad luck with Western Digital, but there are a lot of people with the opposite experience. Both are good, it is truly an individual preference. Before heading over to Best Buy I'd let my fingers do the walking and checkout Newegg first. If you can find the exact same drive on Newegg and it costs more than what you can get it at Best Buy, then snag the Best Buy. $85 clams for a 2 TB is a tad on the pricey side. I've seen 4 TB drives sell for about $99. I think I snagged my 2TB Seagate Barracuda for $59.00. I've seen them as low as $55.

I just went over to Newegg to see what I could find. I found a 2TB Barracuda for $59 w/ Free Shipping. Here is the link:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6822178993

I'd snag this puppy ASAP!!!

Welcome to the Board.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/07/17 08:46:09

desertcat wrote:
2018/07/17 08:28:12
As to your computer... NICE!!! DDR4 memory, real nice!! How many slots does it have 2 or 4?? If it is 4 you can blow that things up to 64 GB of RAM!!! If two up to 32 GB, though check with Dell they should be able to tell you what the max is. IF you plan on running any VM the more the better. That's using 16 GB SIMMS.

As to the HDD: A little secret that is no secret: buy your stuff from Newegg. Given that it is "Prime Day" you might be able to snag a really good deal on a 2 TB drive for lot less. As to the make. This is a toss up. I like Seagate Barracudas, I've had bad luck with Western Digital, but there are a lot of people with the opposite experience. Both are good, it is truly an individual preference. Before heading over to Best Buy I'd let my fingers do the walking and checkout Newegg first. If you can find the exact same drive on Newegg and it costs more than what you can get it at Best Buy, then snag the Best Buy. $85 clams for a 2 TB is a tad on the pricey side. I've seen 4 TB drives sell for about $99. I think I snagged my 2TB Seagate Barracuda for $59.00. I've seen them as low as $55.

I just went over to Newegg to see what I could find. I found a 2TB Barracuda for $59 w/ Free Shipping. Here is the link:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6822178993

I'd snag this puppy ASAP!!!

Welcome to the Board.
Just for FUN I just checked out the price for a 4TB (!!!!) Seagate Barracuda: $93.31... w/ Free Shipping.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6822179299

Depending on how you carved up that 4TB you could create a 2TB Backup partition and use the remaining 2TB for CentOS7, VM, and other fun stuff.

Desert Cat