How to get package dependencies when not connected to network ?

General support questions
GeorgesGiralt

How to get package dependencies when not connected to network ?

Post by GeorgesGiralt » 2018/07/17 09:02:57

Hello !
I've got a computer running Centos 7.5.
For security reasons I can't get it on the Internet. (not my choice...)
Imagine I want to install vlc. I can easily get the vlc* packages, either on RPMFUSION or EPEL.
Of course when installing yum will complain about all missing libraries needed for vlc.
I would like to know haw you would handle this. And if the method could be automated.
For now, I put the rpms I need on a USB stck and then do a createrepo on this stick once mounted on the Centos machine. I've created a local repository to use this usb stick. So I would like to learn the easiest way to put all the correct dependencies on this stick .
I do hope I'm clear ;-)
Many thanks in advance for your help.

MartinR

Re: How to get package dependencies when not connected to network ?

Post by MartinR » 2018/07/17 10:01:38

I've been in a similar position for some years. What I do is download the complete repositories (rsync) to a local copy on an external facing machine. I then transfer them by USB disk to the isolated servers and rsync the copies there. All my machines in the isolated system have yum configured to use the copies on the isolated servers. Currently I handle CentOS, EPEL, elrepo and Nux this way for versions 6 and 7.

GeorgesGiralt

Post by GeorgesGiralt » 2018/07/17 11:21:06

Thank you for your answer, but my sole mean to connect to the net is by using the Windows Laptop my boss gave me and using my data GSM connection.
Even if it is 4G, I wouldn't use it to download the EPEL repo ;-)
I was thinking in reverse. Maybe getting the repodata from epel in the Centos machine, create a fake local epel repo, then using yum install have it list the epel packages and then download them ?
But it would be great if I could mechanize it for the users...

hunter86_bg

Post by hunter86_bg » 2018/07/17 14:07:21

You can use rpm to list the dependencies of the local rpm file.
Something like this (check the man first):

Code: Select all

rpm -qpR /path/to/rpm
Then note the dependencies and download them , transfer to the CentOS box , run a for loop again and repeat until all deps have been downloaded.