"xfs: not a valid inode error" on boot

General support questions
jxg8521

"xfs: not a valid inode error" on boot

Post by jxg8521 » 2018/08/07 20:09:05

Hello,

I am using a usb utility drive that boots using Grub 2.02 and allows the user to boot from one of 4 EXT4 partitions in order to run scripted tools that configure firmware, BIOS, and load an operating system. It's a time saver when setting up large volumes of servers. The servers are using UEFI to boot.
Recently CentOS 7 was requested as the operating system to be installed. The OS load works and can boot, but when attempting to boot the USB drive to run the final configuration script after the OS is installed Grub throws "xfs: not a valid inode" 255 times before displaying the Grub menu. After troubleshooting, I found that Grub is looking to the /boot partition on the internal hard drives, even though it's booting from a USB drive and that is creating the error. If I make /boot an EXT4 partition the error goes away, but we can't ship the servers that way due to the customer's request for a default install.
I've spent a lot of time on google and looking through Grub options but cannot seem to determine why Grub would complain about the /boot partition being xfs for CentOS 7 on the local drives when it is booting from the USB drive the tools run off of. The strange thing is CentOS 7 does not have any issue booting, and even if I install Grub onto the USB drive from CentOS 7 it still has this issue.