Virtualized CentOS 7 only boots in Rescue mode

General support questions
Finn_

Virtualized CentOS 7 only boots in Rescue mode

Post by Finn_ » 2018/08/14 16:28:16

Hi,
a few weeks ago I just set up a virtualized file server with CentOS 7 in a VMware ESXi Enviroment.
So far it had great performance and was very reliable, till I accidently deleted the vmx configuration file (luckily not the datastore files).
Till now I haven't set up any kind of backup server (what I will do as soon as the hardware arrives). So I had to create a new VM with all hard drives mapped in the correct order.
The result: When I start up the VM and do nothing, it will take a long time to boot, show the text "Warning: dev/centos/root (or swap) does not exist" and after that I'll arrive in dracut shell. When I exit the shell, It tells me that not all disks have been found and that I might wanna regenerate my initramfs.
BUT When I boot up the VM chosing the "rescue" boot opiton, everything will just boot up fine and even the lvm raid 5 is mapped correctly so that all file server services are working fine.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Thank you

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Virtualized CentOS 7 only boots in Rescue mode

Post by TrevorH » 2018/08/14 17:16:56

The two VM types use different "hardware". Boot the rescue kernel and rebuild the correct initramfs file for the most recent kernel using dracut -f (plus other arguments to tell it which kernel version or it will overwrite the rescue one which is not what you want).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke