Untrusted application : trust it with a script or disable this "security" ?

General support questions
masableh

Untrusted application : trust it with a script or disable this "security" ?

Post by masableh » 2018/08/29 19:06:28

Hello,

I am trying to make a desktop application on all users, and I need it to be allowed/trusted by default. I can't use the gui for that because it would take way too long.
It is a very basic .desktop :
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=xclock
Name=totoetset
Comment=
Path=/root/Bureau

I did a chmod +x (the file has -rwxr-xr-x.). Didn't work.

Any solution to solve this without using gui ? Is it possible to use a command for making it trusted ? (no issue if it needs root rights) Or is there something to disable this "security" feature, so it will trust all .desktop by default ?

Thanks in advance,
Good bye

masableh

Re: Untrusted application : trust it with a script or disable this "security" ?

Post by masableh » 2018/09/01 15:04:17

Ok,
I've found some things about this issue, but didn't find any solution yet. So the information about this "trust/untrusted" can be found in the home folder of an user inside .local/share/gvfs-metadata there are files(which are binary or hex, not sure which one). Seems like this security thing is based on location of scripts, not sure.

So I tried multiples ideas :
-Edit it directly with an hex editor so I added another script name after the name of another script, but it didn't work at all

-I also tried to trust a script manually on one user, and then copy these files of gvfs-metadata to the one of another user, but it also didn't work... (and it was weird because I trusted a script manually on the root user, and then copy his files to another user and then I tried to start the script on another user but it was saying "/root no permission", so I've looked into the files I pasted but couldn't find any "root" inside the files...

-I also tried to put the scripts on / so it will be the same location for all the users, and then do a symbolik link inside the desktop folder, then trust it manually and then paste the gvfs-metadata of another user and try running the script, but it didn't work too...

I kinda ran out of ideas right now but if it can give some ideas to someone, or if someone later will check this post, at least he will get some info about it.

No solution found yet.

masableh

Post by masableh » 2018/10/29 17:49:49

Wondered, does anyone have an idea ?

lightman47

Post by lightman47 » 2018/10/29 23:45:09

For starters:
Path=/root/Bureau
- the only user able to access that path is root. It's in his folder.
if true, you certainly don't want any other users to have access
as that's the System User folder. You never share things from root
unless you want to keep wiping & starting from scratch.

What are you trying to do? Your description seems a little elusive and lacking detail. Your issue may merely be one of permissions, but we can't yet tell/help. There's not enough info.

Generally, I build an app, then build/assign a Group who'll use it and add users to that group (or remove them) as needed. No one ever needs to run as root to use it. But that's me.