NFS home drive on Windows vs CentOS

General support questions
jriechers

NFS home drive on Windows vs CentOS

Post by jriechers » 2018/09/04 13:54:23

So I am tasked with bringing Linux environments into my companies service offering with Citrix XenDesktop. That has not been a problem, and have deployed Ubuntu, CentOS 7.4 and 7.5. They work great as single user or multi-user machines.

Since Citrix now allows you to provision the machines as read only I have been working on NFS mounts for the /home folder to store those profiles up on the network. I initially did them with CentOS 7.5 and it worked great. However most of my environments are still windows based, and we are already using DFS-R file shares to store their Windows profiles for read only machines. I have tried setting up Windows Server 2016 NFS and have gotten it so I can mount the NFS share and get the profile created, however odd things happen. Default keyring is not created, I get odd errors about files not being created. Chrome throws a Profile error occurred message that I think is tied to the Default keyring not being created. No amount of repairs fixes this.

These worked when i had the shares on the CentOS volume, I used the following line in fstab to mount them.
nfsserver.fqdn:/nfshome /home/CV nfs4 _netdev,vers=4.0,rw,soft,timeo=300,retrans=2,local_lock=none 0 0

When I switched to Windows this is the fstab line that worked
nfsserver.fqdn:/CentOSProfiles /home/CV nfs4 _netdev,auto,nofail,noatime,nolock,intr,tcp,actimeo=1800 0 0

I don't know all fstab commands there, could one of them be the culprit? Am I running into some limitation on the NFS Server 2016 share?

My Linux knowledge is all Google based, but I have exhausted my searches on this.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

hunter86_bg

Re: NFS home drive on Windows vs CentOS

Post by hunter86_bg » 2018/09/04 18:53:10

Try chaning your fstab like the following and then 'mount /home/CV' to test.

Code: Select all

nfsserver.fqdn:/CentOSProfiles /home/CV nfs4 nofail,noatime,nolock,intr,tcp,actimeo=1800,context="unconfined_u:object_r:user_home_dir_t:s0" 0 0
Note: now systemd recognizes nfs,nfs4,cifs as network based file systems and "_netdev" is no longer needed.

jriechers

Post by jriechers » 2018/09/04 21:08:18

No luck.

Just to test that none of my other modifications in the environment I rolled back to Centos profiles, and they are creating and working fine.

So it sounds more and more like something on the Windows NFS side.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/09/04 21:51:39

Maybe newer Windows versions support newer NFS versions but my 2008R2 servers appear to max out at nfsvers=3
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jriechers

Post by jriechers » 2018/09/05 11:37:05

I had tried just doing NFS instead of the v4 settings first. Same issue.

I might open this up to the Windows forums as well.

UPDATE:
Ok, got it to work, you got me on the right path when it came to NFS3. I had to set NFS for the type and hard set the ver=3 in the options string, then it worked. Running google with logging showed write issues when creating the pki store. So something with the v4 implementation on Windows breaks that necessary locking.

Thanks everyone that commented.