[Confirmed] Bug in Calendar Widget.

General support questions
bluegroper

[Confirmed] Bug in Calendar Widget.

Post by bluegroper » 2018/09/09 03:52:45

Hi forum
I'm using CentOS 7 with KDE4. AFAIK all patched and updated.
I would like to use the KDE calendar widget on my desktop.
Sadly, it seems the date display stays fixed on the date when the user logged in.
The date does not flip over to next day each midnight as expected.
Do other users share this same problem ?
I've searched for any bug report, but found none. So I'm wondering whether this is a unique problem with my CentOS/KDE kit.
TIA's for any tips or clues.
Last edited by bluegroper on 2018/09/25 00:54:04, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not a complete idiot. There's still a few pieces missing.

desertcat

Re: Bug in Calendar Widget ?

Post by desertcat » 2018/09/09 07:01:34

bluegroper wrote:
2018/09/09 03:52:45
Hi forum
I'm using CentOS 7 with KDE4. AFAIK all patched and updated.
I would like to use the KDE calendar widget on my desktop.
Sadly, it seems the date display stays fixed on the date when the user logged in.
The date does not flip over to next date each midnight as expected.
Do other users share this same problem ?
I've searched for any bug report, but found none. So I'm wondering whether this is a unique problem with my CentOS/KDE kit.
TIA's for any tips or clues.
OK I use KDE, and the question becomes, what Calendar are you referring to? I have both a Time and Date located on the Panel in the lower RIGHT hand corner. This is a DIGITAL Clock, but if you right click on it you can customize it your hearts content. The Calendar in short form appears right below it. If you click on Calendar it will pop up the entire Calendar for the month. Type in some date say Mar 1964, and it will show you the Calendar for Mar 1964. Now if you are are trying to find a Calendar Widget for the Desktop... that might be a different question. In that case it might be a problem if the program.

bluegroper

Post by bluegroper » 2018/09/09 08:56:59

Thanks for reply.
I use Plasma toolkit, Add Widgets, search for Calendar.
The widget has a horizontal green bar which symbolises a calendar flip chart.
It is supposed to display the current date beneath this green flip bar.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/09/11 06:50:40

bluegroper wrote:
2018/09/09 08:56:59
Thanks for reply.
I use Plasma toolkit, Add Widgets, search for Calendar.
The widget has a horizontal green bar which symbolises a calendar flip chart.
It is supposed to display the current date beneath this green flip bar.
Hummmmm. When you say, "I use the Plasma toolkit", do you mean you click on the "Cashew" => Unlock Widgets => Add Widgets => Under Categories you select Date and Time you pick "Calendar". I want to make sure we are on the same page.

The next question is did you elect to put it on your did you add the widget to the Taskbar or the Desktop? IF you are trying to place it on the Taskbar, the more elegant solution is to Right click on the DEFAULT Digital Clock => Digital Clock Settings and it will pop open a box that allows you to customize the Digital Clock, but WAIT!! There's MORE!! At the very bottom you will see something that says Date Format, the DEFAULT will say NO DATE if you click on the DOWN ARROW it will give you several date options that will be displayed. I chose the Short Date format which shows up right below the Digital Clock simply as 09/10/18. Click on your date format then click on Apply followed by OK. Bur WAIT!!! There's MORE!!! Now if you click on the date up will pop the Calendar!! It is the EXACT SAME Calendar that the Calendar Widget alone will show. I suspect -- I don't know -- that IF you are trying to put Calendar on the taskbar there may be a conflict as Calendar is integrated into the Digital Clock . If all you need is something that will tell you Time and Date enable the Calendar Function under the DEFAULT Digital Clock. If you need to know what Day of the week it is select LONG DATE, rather than Short Date which I use.

Now one other thing: When you finished installing Calendar did you Re-Lock the Widgets? ( GoTo "Cashew" => Lock Widgets). If you failed to re-lock the widgets that *might* be the source of your problems.

If you are looking for a scheduling Calendar might I suggest either installing KOrganizer which will be found under the Office apps (it will be under the header Personal Organizer), or if you REALLY want to get exotic install Thunderbird 52.9.1 which manages email, has a calendar function built-in, and organizer, and more. I basically use Thunderbird to do one thing: Filter SPAM from my junk email, it saves me a lot of time. One great thing about it: It is an INTELLIGENT FILTER once you flag something it will flag all similar files, then you just hit DELETE leaving only those pieces of Junk Email that you might want to read, but NOT have it come into your Inbox.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions about KDE feel free to ask.

bluegroper

Post by bluegroper » 2018/09/17 22:11:00

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.
Yes, we're on the same page, and I'll try to use your (correct) terminology.
Yes, I'm using the "Cashew", and added the Calendar widget to my Taskbar. Right beside the Digital Clock widget.
And re-locked the cashew.
I used to have an analogue watch that displayed the current date in a little window beside 3 o'clock.
The watch gave me the date and time as a clear and simple display. And the date clicked over each midnight as expected.
Enough nostalgia, lets go back to KDE.
Right now the Calendar displays a nice clear "18", which is the desired "look", rather than any tiny text in the Clock widget.
I'm not needing any scheduling or diary entries. Just the clear visual display of the current date in the Taskbar, without any pointing or clicking.
Sans desk rodent.
The only problem is that tomorrow, and every day thereafter, the Calendar widget will still show "18", until I logout and login again to "reset" the Calendar.
Thanks for any suggestions to fix this irritant. Or where is the correct place to post a bug report ?
More TIA's

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/09/18 06:32:09

bluegroper wrote:
2018/09/17 22:11:00
Thanks so much for your detailed reply.
Yes, we're on the same page, and I'll try to use your (correct) terminology.
Yes, I'm using the "Cashew", and added the Calendar widget to my Taskbar. Right beside the Digital Clock widget.
And re-locked the cashew.
I used to have an analogue watch that displayed the current date in a little window beside 3 o'clock.
The watch gave me the date and time as a clear and simple display. And the date clicked over each midnight as expected.
Enough nostalgia, lets go back to KDE.
Right now the Calendar displays a nice clear "18", which is the desired "look", rather than any tiny text in the Clock widget.
I'm not needing any scheduling or diary entries. Just the clear visual display of the current date in the Taskbar, without any pointing or clicking.
Sans desk rodent.
The only problem is that tomorrow, and every day thereafter, the Calendar widget will still show "18", until I logout and login again to "reset" the Calendar.
Thanks for any suggestions to fix this irritant. Or where is the correct place to post a bug report ?
More TIA's
OK Now that we got all that out of the way, I am pretty sure that the problem is that the Calendar widget and the Calendar widget in the digital clock are over lapping and the digital clock takes priority over the stand alone widget.

Here is where we can get funky and become scientists!! Try this: 1) Unlock the widgets. 2) DELETE both the digital clock and the calendar from the taskbar. 3) Add the Calendar Widget Alone to the Taskbar 4) Re-Lock The Widgets 5) RE-Boot the Machine.

I have just done this on my Test Bed to see if I can replicate your problem. IF the problem is a conflict between the Digital Clock + Calendar and the Calendar widget alone by eliminating the Digital Clock alone, the Calendar widget should now work ( since we no longer have the digital clock ), if it does not turn over it is a bug in program; OTOH if it DOES, then problem if both the Digital Clock + Calendar and the Calendar are sharing the same code and the priority is given the integrated widget. Truthfully I prefer the Digital Clock + Calendar since you know not just a number (of the month) but also which month, and which year as well. In short the Calendar widget is rather useless, but then again that's just my opinion.

One thing you could try just for FUN is that the calendar widget might actually be like a REAL calendar you you need to rip the the page off the calendar to see the next day. Click on the calendar and it should show you the underlying month on it, it should show you the entire month, when you close it it might rotate the calendar to the correct day. I'll report back in about an hour after we hit midnight here if I can replicate your results.

bluegroper

Post by bluegroper » 2018/09/18 07:22:35

Thanks for reply.
desertcat wrote:
2018/09/18 06:32:09

Here is where we can get funky and become scientists!! Try this: 1) Unlock the widgets. 2) DELETE both the digital clock and the calendar from the taskbar. 3) Add the Calendar Widget Alone to the Taskbar 4) Re-Lock The Widgets 5) RE-Boot the Machine.
I'll do that in next coupla hours, and leave overnight. Expect I'll see same "18" in the morning, BUT will be delighted if I'm wrong !
desertcat wrote:
Truthfully I prefer the Digital Clock + Calendar since you know not just a number (of the month) but also which month, and which year as well. In short the Calendar widget is rather useless, but then again that's just my opinion.
I accept and respect your opinion. My preference is contrary to yours. I have no problem remembering the month and/or the year.
I'm seeking just simple, clear, and separate displays of date and time, just like the watch analogy posted above.

I'll report back tomorrow.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/09/18 08:03:51

bluegroper wrote:
2018/09/18 07:22:35
Thanks for reply.
desertcat wrote:

I'll do that in next coupla hours, and leave overnight. Expect I'll see same "18" in the morning, BUT will be delighted if I'm wrong !
desertcat wrote:
Truthfully I prefer the Digital Clock + Calendar since you know not just a number (of the month) but also which month, and which year as well. In short the Calendar widget is rather useless, but then again that's just my opinion.
I accept and respect your opinion. My preference is contrary to yours. I have no problem remembering the month and/or the year.
I'm seeking just simple, clear, and separate displays of date and time, just like the watch analogy posted above.

I'll report back tomorrow.
Hummm given that I'm 66, on drugs, ("meds"), and go to sleep at all hours, sometimes I can't remember what day of the week it is let alone what month... and years tend to fly by -- right now we're in 2018.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: One app you *might* want to try and find IF you have friends literally all over the world is something call "World Clock" which I run in one of my Virtual Desktops -- move your rodent over the map of the world and you can find what time it is in Moscow, Kabul, Darwin, let alone New York, Detroit, Phoenix, etc. It *might* be under ==> Date and Time ==> under Get New Widgets. It is a descendent of KDE Worldclock which has been around for YEARS (dating back to KDE 3.x ... maybe KDE 2.x) If it is not there you'll simply need to be a gun slinger and go a-searching, but it is out there!!

If you have any questions about KDE 4.x I can *probably* answer them. I run a duel monitor system with 10 Virtual Desktops which is effectively 20 VD each with its own wallpaper, and own set of icons and widgets.

Again, Sorry I could not have been a bigger help.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/09/18 08:36:32

P.S. Just for FUN and because the night is young -- ie 0111hrs -- and I am one the prowl I went over and after I Unlocked Widgets ==> Add Widgets ==> under Search I entered "Calendar" and it gave back a boatload of of them some of which may or may not work for you. Look for one called "Steampunked Today Calendar". Another one to look at is something called "Time Keeper". "Calendar HUN" is another one to explore. skdata might be another. I Just accidentally found another that will go on your taskbar (I'm going to have to get rid of it now): GoTo the Far left and side of the Taskbar where the Start Applications icon is ==> GoTo Applications ==> Select Office ==> Find "Calendar" (also called Orage Calendar) click on it and it will be added to your Taskbar.

Happy Hunting ..... (Now to get RID of it on my taskbar....)

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/09/18 08:53:03

"18" sounds like it's displaying the year not whatever thing you're hoping that it is...
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke