Centos 7.5 blank screen on boot after update/install

General support questions
adnan

Centos 7.5 blank screen on boot after update/install

Post by adnan » 2018/09/17 00:20:58

Hello

After updating or doing a fresh install or update I get a blank screen. No prompt or anything. At times I have noticed the login prompt appear after a few minutes. The system works fine, as one can ssh into it, but cannot see the screen.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Centos 7.5 blank screen on boot after update/install

Post by TrevorH » 2018/09/17 00:46:24

Have you previously installed proprietary video drivers from e.g. nvidia or AMD or VMware? If so then, when using their binary drivers, it is necessary to reinstall them every time the kernel is updated and you reboot into the new one.

For nvidia, it's possible to use the kmod-nvidia* packages from ELRepo and these do survive most kernel updates. If you want to use them then google for ELRepo, install their elrepo-release package then install nvidia-detect and run it. It will tell you which of their kmod-nvidia* packages you need to use for your video card.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

adnan

Post by adnan » 2018/09/17 02:44:49

TrevorH wrote:
2018/09/17 00:46:24
Have you previously installed proprietary video drivers from e.g. nvidia or AMD or VMware? If so then, when using their binary drivers, it is necessary to reinstall them every time the kernel is updated and you reboot into the new one.

For nvidia, it's possible to use the kmod-nvidia* packages from ELRepo and these do survive most kernel updates. If you want to use them then google for ELRepo, install their elrepo-release package then install nvidia-detect and run it. It will tell you which of their kmod-nvidia* packages you need to use for your video card.
Hello
I have not installed any driver. I don't think the server even has any Nvidia graphics card. These are the Dell node servers.

adnan

Post by adnan » 2018/09/18 05:52:13

Any help would be appreciated. That nvidia-detect does not find driver that can be used.

According to lspci the video card is Aspeed and driver is ast.