No GUI After Recent Installation of CentOS 7

General support questions
gdawg

No GUI After Recent Installation of CentOS 7

Post by gdawg » 2018/09/17 04:30:03

Hello everyone. After a recent a recent installation of CentOS 7-1804 I find that I'm not able to boot to GUI. I'm running a home-built desktop with 9 other Linux distros installed. I've tried, as root, to run "yum groupinstall "X Window system" as well as "startx" from the console. None of these commands worked. All help will be appreciated.

desertcat

Re: No GUI After Recent Installation of CentOS 7

Post by desertcat » 2018/09/17 06:02:32

gdawg wrote:
2018/09/17 04:30:03
Hello everyone. After a recent a recent installation of CentOS 7-1804 I find that I'm not able to boot to GUI. I'm running a home-built desktop with 9 other Linux distros installed. I've tried, as root, to run "yum groupinstall "X Window system" as well as "startx" from the console. None of these commands worked. All help will be appreciated.
This is a open question. Let's start with the basics: What GUI did you choose to install -- KDE, or GNOME?? Run yum grouplist, and then, just for fun, run both yum groupinstall "KDE Plasma Workspaces" and then run yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop". You will now for sure have both desktop environments installed.

Reboot the machine.

Assuming you have GDM installed (The GNOME Display Manager) you may have one of two looks come up: Just BEFORE you log in there should be a tiny gear next to the square that says "Sign In". Click on the tiny gear It should give you two or three GUIs

KDE Plasma Workspace
GNOME
GNOME Classic

-- or --

You will have a white bar alone the top that looks very "GNOME-like" with some very small symbols. A quick exploration of each symbol showes what each does. One looks like a page (?) with some text (?) on it though the thing is so small it really is hard to tell exactly what it is. When you click on it Lo-and-Behold there should be a listing of ALL your installed Desktop Environments.

KDE Plasma Workspace
GNOME
GNOME

Select the Desktop Environment you wish.

Having done that Select your USER (in the event you have more than one). Enter your Secret Sauce Password, and hit ENTER, your GUI of choice *should* now come up.

Hope this helps.

gdawg

Re: No GUI After Recent Installation of CentOS 7 (SOLVED)

Post by gdawg » 2018/09/17 13:22:19

Thank you very much desertcat for your reply. I decided to re-install CentOS 7 and discovered that I had missed creating a desktop environment and I didn't connect to my ethernet. I had mistakenly done a 'minimal installation'.

desertcat

Re: No GUI After Recent Installation of CentOS 7 (SOLVED)

Post by desertcat » 2018/09/18 06:44:08

gdawg wrote:
2018/09/17 13:22:19
Thank you very much desertcat for your reply. I decided to re-install CentOS 7 and discovered that I had missed creating a desktop environment and I didn't connect to my ethernet. I had mistakenly done a 'minimal installation'.
Yep, that will do it every time... that was my first guess is that you had done a minimal install. That was why I suggested that you simply run yum groupinstall " [Your DE Here]" (That is called cheating, but the reinstall should fix the problem for sure. ) After you after installed the OS first don't forget to configure your ethernet, and once that is run run yum update to update all your packages. After you have done that it would not hurt to run yum grouplist and yum groupinstall "[Your DE Here]

Glad I could have been a help.