Modify initial login screen and lock screen

General support questions
labuss

Modify initial login screen and lock screen

Post by labuss » 2018/09/17 19:01:44

Hi folks

I've looked around quit a bit and cannot seem to lay my hands on the procedures to modify the "login" and "lock" screens under CentOS 7.

Ultimately I would like to add an image to display the host name of the machine. Would be even cooler if it would be possible to script it (more portable that way) to evaluate $HOSTHAME and display it in a nice large font.

Thanks in advance for the help
-LB

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Modify initial login screen and lock screen

Post by TrevorH » 2018/09/17 20:15:05

You can add your own message banner to the gnome login screen fairly easily.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/09/18 18:04:15

TrevorH wrote:
2018/09/17 20:15:05
You can add your own message banner to the gnome login screen fairly easily.
A Trivia Question: Can you do that in LightDM? I've tricked it out pretty much as far as I can, but would love to put a banner that says -- in large Letters -- "Welcome to XYZ". Not grossly important given how infrequently I reboot my workstation, but think it would be another rather cool touch.

DesertCat

labuss

Post by labuss » 2018/09/18 20:41:05

Yes, posting a text based message, in my case, a disclaimer was very straight forward. I am looking at modifying or displaying a bitmapped image as part of the main login screen background that will display the hostname. Otherwise when you login or break the screen lock you never know what system you are on, especially if using a KVM as I am.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/09/19 02:26:10

labuss wrote:
2018/09/18 20:41:05
Yes, posting a text based message, in my case, a disclaimer was very straight forward. I am looking at modifying or displaying a bitmapped image as part of the main login screen background that will display the hostname. Otherwise when you login or break the screen lock you never know what system you are on, especially if using a KVM as I am.
Yep, that is why I want to do it I have a small network -- 4 machines -- but would be nice to know which machine I screwing with. Is there some place where you add script? In the OLD Days this was not a problem, but now... In the OLD Days there was a place that said WELCOME, and you simply modified the script and added "...To XYZ"

I *was* using SDDM, as GDM tends to run wild and SDDM worked fine and solved the problem; then 7.5 came out and broke the SDDM, so after some hacking, found LightDM, and I hope when 7.6 comes out they don't break that as well. GDM is a disaster.... while I don't know if this hold true for GNOME, if you run KDE you get a runaway process that eats up /var. With the different DM I have no idea where or if you can add or modify some script to say something like "WELCOME TO XYZ".

Thanks

labuss

Post by labuss » 2018/09/21 15:35:25

Some progress ....

From what I have gathered the initial login screen is assembled on "the fly." I've been able to replace the graphical components (i.e. CentOS logo, etc) by replacing those images with my own and simply naming them the same as the originals, renaming the original images of course to preserve them. I'm now attempting to locate the file or files that manage or assemble the "login" screen. Any thoughts on where they may be located?

Thanks
-LB