Minimal installation with kickstart file with serveral disks (RAID1 and JBOD)

General support questions
nwcon

Minimal installation with kickstart file with serveral disks (RAID1 and JBOD)

Post by nwcon » 2018/09/20 13:55:42

Hi all,

I will install some server with a minimal installation and kickstart files. The disk configuration is a followed:
- Disk 1 and 2 = Raid1
- Disk 3 - 12 = JBOD

The virtual disk (Raid1) is marked as boot disk. Boot mode is legacy not UEFI. The OS installation should be done on the RAID not on the JBOD. How can I define that in the kickstart file. This should works for a lot of servers with the same disk configuration. I'm going nuts. :?:

Thanks a lot for any idea.

Cheers
Nico

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Minimal installation with kickstart file with serveral disks (RAID1 and JBOD)

Post by TrevorH » 2018/09/20 14:05:32

What's doing the RAID? Hardware? Or are you using linux software RAID and needing to set that up via the kickstart too?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

nwcon

Re: Minimal installation with kickstart file with serveral disks (RAID1 and JBOD)

Post by nwcon » 2018/09/20 14:28:50

No, it's a hardware raid and the amount of JBOD can be different between the servers.
Raid1 and the JBOD will be always configured via management console (Ilo, Idrac, Cimc).
When the config is ready and the virtual disk (raid) is marked as boot disk the server will be started with PXE boot for installation.

Everything works perfekt when the server has only one Raid configured.

The issue is, during the disk labeling process the raid can always labeled different on each server. Means on Server A the Virtual Disk is SDB, on the next Machine B it's SDL.
Depending on the amount of server JBOD disks.
Is it possible to define the Raid VD always as SDA.

Thx a lot.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/09/20 15:39:51

I don't think there's anything much you can do about differing device names on different hardware except to set them up the same way so they are the same in the first place. You can look at https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... art-syntax and search that for e.g. clearpart, which has some discussion about this area. All of those methods will end up requiring you to specify something to identify the device you want to install on though.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke