Failed to boot nouveau DRM pointer

General support questions
hpschmid

Failed to boot nouveau DRM pointer

Post by hpschmid » 2018/10/02 10:19:49

Hello CentOS Community,

I have a strange porblem with CentOS on a Dell Notebook and I run out of ideas. In February, I installed CentOS sharing the disk (50:50) with a Windows-Partition (quite a bit tricky with the UEFI-BIOS, but in the end I succeeded). It was the first time I tried CentOS and I was very happy how fine the system runs. The problem now is shortly - the system does not boot any more. I still come to the login screen, but after entering the password, I get the line

Code: Select all

[6.336262] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to TMDS table invalid 
and that's it. Sometimes, after a long time, I get a dracut emergency shell, but not always. I tried to add the boot options

Code: Select all

nomodset blacklist=nouveau xdriver=vesa 
(and any combinations of these options as well), It always ends with the above error message.I even tried to boot from a usb-stick, without any success (also using these options). I even disabled the SSD in BIOS, for the case the error is grabbed somehow from the disk when booting from a stick - no success. It seems that the graphics card is broken, but Windows works without any problems! I still have the iso-file which I used to set up in February. I created a stick, but - mysteriously - not even that works - exactly the image I used to install CentOS! In my knowledge, I did not change any BIOS settings and I did not make a BIOS-update (I did a BIOS-update after this problem started - of course no success). I was already about to reinstall CentOS, but how, when I cannot even boot from a stick...

A few key specs:

Dell XPS 15 9560
Graphics card(s):
Intel HD Graphics 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Does anybody have an idea, how to find the problem?

hpschmid

Re: Failed to boot nouveau DRM pointer

Post by hpschmid » 2018/10/06 21:12:57

Hi folks,

Finally - by poor chance - I found the problem! I got the hint to boot the system in Runlevel 3 (by just adding temporarily a 3 at the end of the boot options line). Then I got the chance to inspect the system. The problem was simply that the system partition was full. I have an encrypted home partition (the system partition is not) and used the device mapper to manage the disk space, like it was suggested by the installer. It seems that I just forgot to monitor the system disk space. After deleting some files the system started normally. The reason why it don't boot from the stick I still can not explain, but it seems that this is a different problem. Maybe I did not set up the stick correctly. When you assume that has the same reason, of course it looks mysterious...

Btw: I have to correct - I did not get to the login screen, It was the screen for unlocking the encrypted partition. I enabled auto-login, since I cannot open the home directory without password anyway.