Webdav Homefolder / Data Management and some other problems (new to CentOS)

General support questions
cripcate

Webdav Homefolder / Data Management and some other problems (new to CentOS)

Post by cripcate » 2018/11/11 19:41:41

Hey guys,

This is not a centos specific problem I think, but I am posting here since its the os I use.

I am new to centos but using Linux for a few years (mainly ubuntu / debian / manjaro). I started a new job in research and now use centos (preferred by our it) on my desktop pc instead windows, which everyone else uses in our department.

While everything works fine, I have a slight problem integrating my system in our network architecture. We have a webdav network share which is used as the home folder in windows. As I am using dual boot (need win for some programs occasionally) I want to keep most of my stuff on the webdav so that it is accessible from both OS.

I managed to connect the webdav, but see some room for improvement:
  • The webdav is not mounted on startup and I have to connect it every time I start the pc. It's just one click bout I would prefer it to load automatically. Is there a way of doing this?
  • I can't drag and drop files into any application. Also some applications (like spyder the python ide) don't recognize network folders at all. So I often have to get the long ass filepath and copy paste it somewhere which is suboptimal.
  • The filemanager still bookmarks all the local files on the sidebar (I think these are called emblems?). I can put bookmarks to the webdav but having so many fodlers on the sidebar is annoying and confusing. I like to have it lear and structured. I tried changing ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs without much success. I am using nautilus (gnome standard) and also tried thunar and nemo which I find even less attractive. Any options here?
  • The webdav was created back when I still had windows as main OS. If I now want to delete folders etc. using CentOS, I often get a HTTP:input/output error or an error stating I have insufficient permissions. I still use the same login credentials. Whats the problem?

I have 2 SSDs, one is running Centos, the other one is running windows. I also have a shared HDD. Would I be better off ignoring the network provided webdav share and keeping my files on the local HDD? In this case the automatic backups our IT would fall flat. But I could still use something like rsync and cronjobs to backup my stuff on the webdav periodically.

These are the main things that annoy me. Some other stuff that could be improved:
    • I use a seafile server for filesharing, but seafile keeps crashing on CentOS if I want it to synchronize on the shared HDD or the webdav. It doesn't work.
    • Not filesystem related: The command prompt of my terminal takes 2-3 seconds to show up when I launch a new terminal. On all other linux systems I had so far it appeared instantly. It's annoying me a bit. Whats causing this? I didn't change anything in my .bashrc file yet despite installing anaconda (it wrote a few lines to it realting to python path and so on).
    I'm trying to improve my setup as much as possible because I'll be working with it for the next 3 years at least and just want to feel "at home" with it.

So any suggestions for improvement that you might have are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks alot in advance!

cripcate

Re: Webdav Homefolder / Data Management and some other problems (new to CentOS)

Post by cripcate » 2018/11/15 08:40:03

What I managed to solve up until now:
  • HDD mounting works, cause I finally figured out the right mount options for /etc/fstab
  • I can mount the webdav automatically by editing /etc/davfs2/secrets and creating an fstab entry. Drag and drop still doesn't work though and I still can't delete some of the old windows folders cause of HTTP input/output errors or insufficient permissions. WIll check again if i can delete them when I have a Windows partition again.
As the webdav isn't working so great, I switched to my additional HDD as main data storage and run rsync to back it up to the webdav. THis way I can drag and drop files, edit my nautilus sidebar etc because everything is not stored on an external location anymore.

The seafile and command prompt problems are still unresolved.