Multiple Server Problems

General support questions
MikeCharlie

Multiple Server Problems

Post by MikeCharlie » 2018/11/15 11:04:24

Hi all,

So first of all I am a little new to CentOS as have always stuck with openSUSE before

I have been having some problems and wondering if anybody can help me but first I will describe my system. I am currently running CentOS 7 on a virtual Hyper-V machine and it has Plex running on it. My plan is to put this on a computer I have with a RAID 5 setup but before I do that I want to prove I can do everything I want to before investing more money. So now to the problems:

1) The first problem is more with Plex but there forums seem to not be able to help. The problem is when I am watching a video on a firestick streaming from the server it stops every 5-15 minutes giving me a message saying following:
Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please ensure the server is available and retry.
When I click retry it works again straight away. If I watch how much the load progress is I can see that in the first 10 seconds it loads a large chunk and then starts loading very slowly (loads less than a minute per minute of watching) so it eventually catches up and gives me the message again. I just don't understand why it is able to do a large chunk in seconds but then it slows by so much. Does anybody have any ideas?

2) The second problem came when I was putting more videos on the server via ftp. Previously there has been no problems ftping anything to the server but now when I start to upload files to the server it stops at a random percent (the percent changes each time I try with the same file). I have tried multiple files and nothing is being uploaded. I have tried having the firewall completely off in case any of the ports had reverted and that didn't help either. Interestingly I am able to download from it with no problems. Its just the upload side. I have checked the disk space and still plenty of room.

3) Which brings me onto my third problem. When I checked disk space I noticed I had used up more than I realised (still had 4 GB left thought so plenty for above). So I decided to allocate more disk space to it using Hyper V. I moved the disk space from ~40GB to 100GB. When I booted the server back up I went into fdisk and deleted sda2 created a new partition using all the available sectors. Rebooted the server and then ran following command:
pvresize /dev/sda2
However disk space has not increased.

Hope someone is able to help me as just can not get what is happening.

Thanks In Advance

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Server Problems

Post by TrevorH » 2018/11/15 11:40:59

Pvresize will resize the PV. You should now have freespace showing up in the VG if you run `vgs` and then you need to need to resize the LV used for the filesystem you want to adjust. Use lvresize -r to resize the filesystem at the same time.

For the rest, that sounds like a network problem. Check your logs for errors and post details of the hardware involved.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

MikeCharlie

Re: Multiple Server Problems

Post by MikeCharlie » 2018/11/15 11:57:51

TrevorH wrote:
2018/11/15 11:40:59
Pvresize will resize the PV. You should now have freespace showing up in the VG if you run `vgs` and then you need to need to resize the LV used for the filesystem you want to adjust. Use lvresize -r to resize the filesystem at the same time.

For the rest, that sounds like a network problem. Check your logs for errors and post details of the hardware involved.
Thanks for the quick response I have run that now and looks good. Interestingly I thought I would run another check on whether I could upload to the server and now I can? I don't understand why this would suddenly work? At one point I even cleared 13 GB of space up by deleting multiple files and it wouldn't even let me upload a 350MB file. I did multiple reboots as well so no idea why? I will now check if problem 1 still exists. If it does what is the best logs for checking for network problems, thanks.