CentOS 7.6 Rollover: CAUTION!!!

General support questions
desertcat

CentOS 7.6 Rollover: CAUTION!!!

Post by desertcat » 2018/11/26 21:58:33

This may be my last post for a while. I just updated both my test bed and my workstation.

The GOOD: The Rollover went along almost without a hitch. When I ran yum update --enablerepo=cr it it came back with a string of packages it could not update. The packages it could not update were in MATE and CINNAMON both in @epel . No biggie. I just removed the offending packages and will reinstall them later. I then ran yum update --enablerepo=cr again.

Mind you I am running grub customizer and lightdm. I also have a few custom tweaks in here as well.

The BAD: I restarted my test bed and everything popped right up!! No glitches what so ever. Everything worked!!! Taking that as a good sign I promptly ran yum update --enablerepo=cr on my workstation, and switched over to my test bed while I was updating my machine, it was only then that I discovered that I have NO WORKING TASK BAR!!!

The UGLY: My workstation has just finished updating. I am going to shut down the machine and hopefully reboot into 7.6, but I may not have any taskbar or any way to access the internet. Wish me luck.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS 7.6 Rollover: CAUTION!!!

Post by TrevorH » 2018/11/26 22:22:11

MATE users need to enable epel-testing to update from CR.

Cinnamon users need to find an alternative desktop soon as the EPEL maintainer no longer does (maintain it).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/11/27 06:43:52

I'm back from the deserts of Rollover-land. Once again having an excellent BACKUP bailed my rear end out of the fire. I am back at CentOS 7.5. Here is what I found out via experimentation:

At the CURRENT time KDE users are out of luck. While your KDE desktop *will* come up, it will NOT work. All your apps from Launcher will either launch, but then can't be killed; or they will not launch at all. As to the Launcher on the task bar, it will come up, but there is zero way to launch anything -- ie. you can't even select an application as all are non responsive. If you have some application on the Task-bar it will launch.

To see IF the problem was due to some Not Ready For Prime Time bug I logged out, but this time I changed my Desktop Environment to GNOME Classic. GNOME worked just fine. The rumor that Red Hat was no longer going to support KDE starting in RHEL 7.6 seems to have been right on the money.

Avij said, " You misread your source. The release notes say "A future major release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux will no longer support using KDE" (emphasis mine). A "major release" in this context means RHEL 8.

"7.x will continue to include KDE."

When I pointed to the source (https://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/kd ... e-version/) Avij said, " "Deprecated" means that something will be going away at some point. It is a warning so that users may start planning for alternatives, such as switching to GNOME. It may also mean that Red Hat will put less effort into fixing KDE bugs in the remaining lifetime of 7.x.

"The article also says that "Red Hat is moving KDE to EPEL". I don't know where the article author got that, but I have not heard of that. The remark about "RHEL/CentOS 7.6+ users can either use EPEL repo or switch other Linux distros such as..." is misleading -- CentOS 7.x users can continue using the KDE as shipped in CentOS until the lifetime of CentOS 7.x."

IFRed Hat is trying to force KDE users to jump to GNOME or go through the messy process with epel and hope that there is some KDE maintainer there with virtually no notice of their plans is very underhanded IF that is indeed the source of my problems. If you are a KDE user and have already rollovered your machine, please post if you have had any problems similar to mine. It could be some type of wacky interaction with some program I'm running.

For the record I am running ASUS M5A97 2.0 Motherboard, with an AMD FX 6300 hexacore CPU w/32 GB of RAM. I have Grub-Customizer installed, and substituted Lightdm for GDM I had both MATE and CINNAMON enabled, but removed both *before* the rollover. It could be that some obscure dependency was removed that affected the Taskbar is a possibility, but it does not explain why I had ZERO problems while I was in GNOME.

If you have NOT rolled over your machine and are a KDE user, I would hold off until the Official Release, in the meantime it would pay you in Spades to BACKUP your machine NOW, just in case upon the official release date things go south.

stevemowbray

Post by stevemowbray » 2018/11/27 13:08:02

For the record, I don't normally use KDE but I've just tried it both on a machine updated by CR and one not, and I'm not seeing any difference at all.

tomkep

Post by tomkep » 2018/11/27 16:25:29

I've updated to CR, I am using KDE as I write it and I don't see any issues with it...

Maybe except X server has some problems with ATI Radeons, but that neither new nor related to KDE itself. Swapped the cards and back in business.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/11/27 16:26:50

stevemowbray wrote:
2018/11/27 13:08:02
For the record, I don't normally use KDE but I've just tried it both on a machine updated by CR and one not, and I'm not seeing any difference at all.
While you were in KDE did you have any trouble launching stuff from the launcher on the task bar, or from drop down menu? I had no problems while using GNOME but using KDE once on an Intel machine, and once on an AMD machine showed me that there was some problem launching stuff.

I noticed one thing last night while I was trying to do my restore from my backup: Do you run UEFI, or from a straight non-UEFI BIOS?

This was a miserable rollover, but it was a LOT better than the one from 7.4 => 7.5. At least this time I had no problem getting the GUI to work.

stevemowbray

Post by stevemowbray » 2018/11/27 16:33:48

Legacy BIOS, not UEFI, but I don't see how that could have any effect on the X session.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/11/27 16:37:06

tomkep wrote:
2018/11/27 16:25:29
I've updated to CR, I am using KDE as I write it and I don't see any issues with it...

Maybe except X server has some problems with ATI Radeons, but that neither new nor related to KDE itself. Swapped the cards and back in business.
Hummmm. This makes me think that this *might* be an Nvidia problem then, as I am using a nvidia based card. That or I have a problem with one of the packages that was removed when I had to remove both MATE and Cinnamon.

Thanks for your help.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/11/27 16:43:34

Yep, just went over to my Test Machine , jaguar, and I can't launch a single thing. It is dead in the water.

stevemowbray

Post by stevemowbray » 2018/11/27 16:47:26

I removed Cinnamon but updated MATE from epel-testing. I don't think that should affect KDE either though!