CC version check failed on installing new driver

General support questions
rhpthomas@yahoo.com

CC version check failed on installing new driver

Post by rhpthomas@yahoo.com » 2018/12/07 05:33:18

I tried to install an NVIDIA driver for TESLA K80. I got the message:

The CC version check failed.

The kernel was built with gcc version 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-16) (GCC), but the current complier is cc (GCC) 5.3.1 20160406 (Red Hat 5.3.-6)

This may lead to problems; if you are not certain whether the mismatched complier will be compatible with your kernel, you may wish to abort the installation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used to compile your kernel and restart installation

I'm using Centos 7.6. I see this a problem for tohers but so far o solutions have worked.Can anyone help?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CC version check failed on installing new driver

Post by TrevorH » 2018/12/07 07:28:02

We do not ship gcc 5.3.1 as part of the base distro. We ship gcc 4.8.5 and that is the standard version that will be used for everything.

We do ship updated versions of gcc but they are shipped as SCLs and you have to take special action in order to use them. The devtoolset-4-gcc.x86_64 package ships gcc 5.3.1 but that does not replace the system gcc 4.8.5, it installs in parallel and in order to use it you must invoke a new bash prompt by using something like scl enable devtoolset-4 bash and then run gcc from that bash prompt.

If someone has installed devtoolset-4-gcc.x86_64 and then bodged it into .bashrc/.bash_profile or one of the system profiles so make it permanent across all sessions then gcc 5.3.1 would be default but it's definitely not recommended nor is it easy to do.

Oh, and for nvidia drivers you might want to check ELRepo for their various kmod-nvidia* packages. If you install the nvidia proprietary drivers using their .run file then you will have to reinstall/rebuild every time there is a kernel update. If you use the ELRepo methos then their packages are buitl to withstand most kernel updates and you will probably only need to do it once per point release.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke