Requesting Suggestions: System broken after 7.6 Update

General support questions
TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Requesting Suggestions: System broken after 7.6 Update

Post by TrevorH » 2018/12/12 17:47:50

ELRepo packages don't use dkms, they use the CentOS/RHEL stable KABI.

If you're using the packages from nvidia now then you might want to just see if there are newer ones available from them rather than switching to the ELRepo ones. They are different and, for example, the nvidia ones better support cuda. Your currently installed ones are definitely out of date since ELRepo use the same version numbers as the nvidia ones do so 390.87 > 390.42.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

tonybKDE

Post by tonybKDE » 2018/12/14 20:12:50

As of today I have fully recovered from the issues resulting from my update to CentOS 7.6 (1810). As far as I can tell.

Many and sincere thanks to TrevorH and desertcat here, who helped me a lot.

Here is a summary of the resolution.

For the Nvidia proprietary driver issues:
  • Add a 3 to the end of the boot line for the selected kernel in grub to boot to a console and do the following from there:
    Uninstall all packages related to nvidia-driver except for the yum-plugin-nvidia
    This included nvidia-driver,nvidia-driver-libs,nvidia-libXNVCtrl, and nvidia-settings. This also uninstalled the kmod-nvidia and removed NVidia-related stuff from places like /usr/lib/modprobe.d (where, for example, there was an nvidia.conf file blacklisting nouveau)
  • Installed nvidia-x11-drv-390xx from elrepo. This drags in kmod-nvidia-390xx. Looks like nvidia-settings is part of the driver package now rather than being in its own package.

For the GNOME and GTK app issues:
  • Reinstall perl-Gtk2-AppIndicator
  • Reinstall shared-mime-info, gdk-pixbuf2, and gdk-pixbuf2-devel. One of the last two fixed GNOME (wouldn't start) and my specific GTK app "shutter"
For the CIFS mounting problems (may not have mentioned this in my original post, but mount commands that used to work were returning Input/Output errors):
  • Add ,vers=2.1 to mount lines
  • Note this solution doesn't seem to be very robust in that it doesn't work every time. I suspect the real answer is here https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3692491 but grr I can't see the RedHat member-only content.
After a bit more stress testing of my testbed system - and maybe a couple beers over the weekend - I will apply the CentOS 7.6 update to my production system. I will do it from a console with no X session running and begin by removing the NVidia drivers as per the above.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/12/14 20:55:47

You can read that with one of the free developer RHEL subscriptions. The gist of it is:

As a workaround, explicitly mention vers=3.0 in your mount command or in fstab.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke