CentOS Installation on Parallels Desktop on Mac has hung

General support questions
claresudbery

CentOS Installation on Parallels Desktop on Mac has hung

Post by claresudbery » 2018/12/12 17:55:42

Hi

I am using the instructions on this page (https://kb.parallels.com/en/124121) to install CentOS on Parallels Desktop on my Mac (High Sierra).

However, the installation appears to have hung and I haven't managed to find anything on this forum or Google to help.

For the last hour or so the last command visible is "Removed slice User Slice of [my user name]."

I am not getting any feedback from the Parallels window and I am not sure how to proceed.

Sadly I am completely inexperienced in Linux, CentOS and Parallels - I have not used any of them before - so you may have to explain things to me in some detail. Please do not assume I know anything!

Here is a screenshot of what I see in Parallels (the white rectangles added by me):

Hoping you can help.

Best wishes
Clare.
Last edited by claresudbery on 2018/12/13 11:38:32, edited 1 time in total.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS Installation on Parallels Desktop on Mac has hung

Post by TrevorH » 2018/12/12 18:00:53

You'll need to supply more information about what you did and where it got to.

The link you supplied to parallels shows up more or less blank for me. It has 2 entries for "express" and "manual" install methods but on both of those it has a little red inverted triangle to expand it and that does nothing at all so there are no instructions visible for me. Then your screenshot isn't here either.

If you did the express install then try the manual one.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

claresudbery

Post by claresudbery » 2018/12/13 11:37:20

Hi

Thank you for your reply, I will try the manual installation. In the meantime here is the extra info - apologies that the link and screenshot didn't work.

I'm confused about that Parallels link, it works for me but I guess there must be something different about your setup. Sorry about that.
Here is what I have done so far, following the instructions on that page:
1. Download the latest CentOS .iso image file from download CentOS (choose "Everything ISO" or "Standard DVD")
1. Start Parallels Desktop, then click File -> New.
2. Choose Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or and image file, then click Continue.
3. Choose CentOs Linux from the list of the operating system sources found on your Mac, then click Continue.
4. Specify the CentOS account name or leave the default settings, then click Continue.
5. Check virtual machine configuration and click Continue.
6. The CentOS virtual machine will be created and the CentOs boot screen will appear.
Click inside the virtual machine screen, then select "Install CentOS Linux 7".
7. CentOS Linux will now automatically install on Parallels Desktop virtual machine. Wait till the process is over.
(their numbering, not mine).

This is where the process has hung.

The next steps are apparently "Once installation is finished, virtual machine will restart. Upon first start one should accept license agreement"
... but I never got that far.

As for the screenshot, because this was my first post on this forum I wasn't able to preview my post so I couldn't see that it failed failed. Sorry about that, I'll try again. This is what I see on my screen inside Parallels:

In case you can't see the screenshot, it is some form of console and the last four visible commands in the console are as follows:
[ OK ] Started Session c1 of user [my user name]
Starting GNOME Display Manager...
[ OK ] Started OpenSSH server daemon.
[ OK ] Removed slice User Slice of [my user name]

claresudbery

Post by claresudbery » 2018/12/13 18:17:10

OK so I tried manual installation instead of express installation. The only difference is that you get to choose installation options instead of going with the defaults. It has twice hung while starting the GNOME display manager, so I chose KDE instead of GNOME.

Now I have a new problem: After I reboot, it asks for user name and password. I have given it the user name and password I entered during the installation process but I get a message "Sorry that didn't work. Please try again." I have tried using the root password I entered during installation, and I have also tried using my Parallels user name / password but neither of them work. Does anybody know which user name / password it refers to and where I configure them? I have been through it twice now and the second time I made a very careful note of the password I set up during installation, but I'm having the same problem.

claresudbery

Post by claresudbery » 2018/12/13 18:39:21

Phew, I managed to solve this. Sadly it wasn't clear to me that the username it wanted was "root" rather than the user name I entered during the installation process.