infinite loop of a folder

General support questions
mtlee

infinite loop of a folder

Post by mtlee » 2019/01/03 13:52:42

Hi Community,

I am using a HPC server (1 master and 3 nodes of DELL R730, RAID0) running CentOS 7 with docker container pre-installed by the company who sold me the machine. I encounter a problem that I don't know what keyword I should search in the forum and online, and I am looking for help.

There is a folder in my home directory called "zone." When I typed du -hs * in my home, the folder "zone" occupies 1.2 TB, which is exactly the size of my disks on one node (master gets 2.4TB, each node gets 1.2TB). Zone is a folder I created for transferring files through SFTP, which has no files. However, when I change directory to zone, I see all folders in my home directory again, including the folder "zone." I can still get into any folder under my home even I get into several layers of "zone." (i.e. I have an infinite loop of my home mapped to the folder zone -- /home/[myname]/zone/zone/zone/zone/.....) Also, all new files and folders I create in my home directory now won't get into the "zone."

My apologies for any unclear description. However, I really have no idea what to search for this kind of problem. I would appreciate if there is any hint from the community that I can follow to debug and learn by myself. Thank you very much.

P.S. I don't dare to delete the "zone" folder. I am afraid of deleting all my files, since my whole "home" is included in that folder.
P.S. I am sorry that I haven't tried "turning it off and on again." There are many other user running jobs, and I want to first seek solution without restarting the server.

Best regards,
Ming-Tsung Lee | academic researcher

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: infinite loop of a folder

Post by TrevorH » 2019/01/03 15:58:17

What's the output from df -m /home/youruser/zone (amending "youruser" to your username).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

mtlee

Re: infinite loop of a folder

Post by mtlee » 2019/01/03 16:37:06

Thank you for your prompt response.

Here is the output:
[mtlee@Samaritan ~]$ df -m zone
Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
cluster:/home 1686387 1532453 68248 96% /home

Specifying zone after -m option doesn't change output on my system. I got identical output for each folders.