Blank screen on Xfce logout when Install/Configuring Xfce on centos 7.6 minimal install

General support questions
kbdeamon

Blank screen on Xfce logout when Install/Configuring Xfce on centos 7.6 minimal install

Post by kbdeamon » 2019/01/27 00:13:48

Hello. While there are many instruction on installing Xfce on centos 7 (viewtopic.php?t=27621, https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#hea ... 796adfe2f8, https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-instal ... s-7-linux/, https://blog.vpscheap.net/how-to-setup- ... -centos-7/, http://jensd.be/125/linux/rhel/install- ... n-centos-7), I can't seem to get Xfce or MATE to work properly without resorting to

Code: Select all

systemctl set-default graphical.target
when I install Xfce or MATE on top of a minimal install.

From a minimal centos install, I install Xfce as follows:

yum install epel-release -y
yum groupinstall "X Window System" -y
yum groupinstall "Xfce" -y
echo "exec /bin/startxfce4" >> ~/.xinitrc
after that I am able to launch xfce via startx

startx
However, I get a black blank screen when I logout from Xfce by pressing the logout button. The screen is just black and I cannot Alt+F2 or anything like that. It seems as though I loose the tty somehow when I login to Xfce. This happens whether I launch Xfce as root or as another user. There has to be an extra step to this because I have another desktop install where I can set the default target to multi-user.target and still be able to launch Xfce via startx.

What am I missing?

desertcat

Re: Blank screen on Xfce logout when Install/Configuring Xfce on centos 7.6 minimal install

Post by desertcat » 2019/01/27 09:41:43

I could be very, very wrong, that said I suspect that since you did a MINIMAL install, there are no graphical hooks. Did you install a display manager like gdm or lightdm?? The easiest way to make sure you don't screw something up is to install a desktop with GUI then install Xfce. Even if you don't use it, it is nice to have an extra desktop Environment. With HDD's and SSD's frequently starting at 1 TB and going on up from there, and RAM usually starting at 8-16GB and up, it is not going to kill you to expend a little extra disk space.

How do I know? I once tried to do a MINIMAL install to get around a problem I had with an installation process with the great idea that I would do a post install of various DE I planed to install (KDE, Xfce, MATE, etc.) and I ran into problems. The second I did an a Desktop + GUI the problem went away. Basically it was a Desktop plus a minimal GNOME install ie. NOT the full GNOME GUI, just enough to give me a functional GUI, once I had that then I was able to install the full bloody GUI's using yum grouplist and yum groupinstall.

kbdeamon

Re: Blank screen on Xfce logout when Install/Configuring Xfce on centos 7.6 minimal install

Post by kbdeamon » 2019/01/27 18:49:58

Hi desertcat, thanks for the tip.

gdm is definitely there:

[root@localhost user0]# systemctl is-enabled gdm
enabled
I am missing something. I get the blank screen on logout from X even after a fresh install of "Server with GUI". I do notice however, that the blank screen specifically occurs after I run yum update, set default target to graphical.target, reboot, startx and then try to logout.

So:

NO blank screen when trying to logout; just drop down to terminal

[root@localhost user0]# systemctl set-default multi-user.target
Removed symlink /etc/systemd/system/default.target.
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/default.target to /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.
[root@localhost user0]# reboot
[user0@localhost ~]$ startx
YES blank screen when trying to logout; cannot drop down to terminal

[root@localhost user0]# yum update
[root@localhost user0]# systemctl set-default multi-user.target
Removed symlink /etc/systemd/system/default.target.
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/default.target to /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.
[user0@localhost ~]$ startx
Wish I knew what I' missing.

kbdeamon

Post by kbdeamon » 2019/01/28 00:19:20

It looks like this issue may be limited to a VM guest. I am trying all this on a VM guest in VMWare Workstation 15 and I able to reproduce this blank screen pretty reliably. I attempted to install MATE onto a CentOS 7 minimal install running on a Lenovo TS140 and I am able to boot the server into multi-user.target, login to MATE using startx and then logout and drop back to the terminal. So, now the question is why can't I do this in a VM guest? I attempted to remove and reinstall open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop but that did not resolve the issue. It is my understanding that open-vm-tools is recommended over the vmware tools that vmware provides. Any suggestions?

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2019/01/28 11:47:00

kbdeamon wrote:
2019/01/28 00:19:20
It looks like this issue may be limited to a VM guest. I am trying all this on a VM guest in VMWare Workstation 15 and I able to reproduce this blank screen pretty reliably. I attempted to install MATE onto a CentOS 7 minimal install running on a Lenovo TS140 and I am able to boot the server into multi-user.target, login to MATE using startx and then logout and drop back to the terminal. So, now the question is why can't I do this in a VM guest? I attempted to remove and reinstall open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop but that did not resolve the issue. It is my understanding that open-vm-tools is recommended over the vmware tools that vmware provides. Any suggestions?
Hummmmmmm Thanks for the tip. I am running VMWare Player 15.0.2. I'll have to mess with this. Since this is a VM why not try an install with a GUI to see if this is problem of minimal -- vs -- non-minimal install (ie desktop + GUI). In the meantime ditch gdm and install lightdm. gdm is trouble and usually results in runaway processes. But Yeah I suspect that is a problem limited to a VM. One other thing you could do -- just for FUN and because you have nothing better to do :D -- try and install KDE and see if this may be a problem because of your de. I am currently running Cinnamon de on a physical install on a test machine ( an old HP server class computer we've hacked from a dual core to a quad core processor and a whopping 6GB of RAM!! WOW!!!). I'll keep you posted of my results once I get around to installing CentOS 7.6 VM on a 7.6 host machine -- that should be very, very strange). I've got a ton of projects going on right now. I suspect my results may be similar to yours. One last thing to try -- again just for FUN -- try creating a VM of CentOS 7.5. I say this as I know for a fact that 7.6 is buggy. I have problems with 7.6 that I have never had with any version that came before (OK with the exception of 7.0 which was a disaster). Actually that is an excellent idea: I might try creating a VM of both 7.5 and 7.6. Please keep me posted as to what you find out. THANKS!!

kbdeamon

Post by kbdeamon » 2019/02/09 16:24:18

Hi, sorry for the late response. I haven't had the chance to try things out. Here is what I know now that I did.

I tried different VM configurations with CentOS 7.6 and 7.5. I tried minimal install w/o X as well as Server with GUI. I tried the 4.2 and the 3.1 kernels and I tried running lightdm instead of gdm. For some reason today all my 7.6 VMs running on kernel 3.10 started to work and the logout from X drops down to the terminal (this is regardless of whether I am using gdm or lightdm). I only have one VM right now where I can reproduce the issue (i.e., not dropping down to the terminal after logoff). It is running 7.6 with kernel 4.2, but it starts to work properly after a yum update. I tried the same VM from the same snapshot with 3.10 kernel and after running yum update and it also works.

Not sure what to make of this. Maybe its VMWare or maybe its just that VM.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/02/09 16:59:02

Or "after yum update" then the bug is fixed...
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

kbdeamon

Post by kbdeamon » 2019/02/17 17:31:25

TrevorH wrote:
2019/02/09 16:59:02
Or "after yum update" then the bug is fixed...
Correct, or maybe its just the yum update that fixes the issue...