CentOS 7 Big Disk Installation

General support questions
etpoole60

CentOS 7 Big Disk Installation

Post by etpoole60 » 2019/02/13 00:15:52

I've a machine that has 4 - 4TB hard drives on it. I want to install CentOS 7 but I'm afraid I'll run into the same issue I ran into when installing CentOS 6 - it would not allow me to see the entire disk size.
is there a solution to this issue? I know that gdisk works but during a bare metal install?

TIA
Gene
Happily Retired
Gene Poole
Woodstock, Georgia

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS 7 Big Disk Installation

Post by TrevorH » 2019/02/13 00:42:13

CentOS 7 is fully UEFI enabled and understands GPT labels from the get-go.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

ron7000

Re: CentOS 7 Big Disk Installation

Post by ron7000 » 2019/02/15 15:26:11

etpoole60 wrote:
2019/02/13 00:15:52
it would not allow me to see the entire disk size.
is there a solution to this issue? I know that gdisk works but during a bare metal install?
what Trevor said.
you most likely in Centos 6 (would happen with any other operating system) is that you created MBR (DOS) type partition tables, which are now antiquated and have a limitation of only recognizing 2 TB disks as well as only being able to do 4 primary partitions per disk.
Be sure to format your hard drives with a GPT partition table, which stands for GUID partition table.
I think [in CentOS7] you have to go out of your way now to get a MBR partition table using any kind of disk gui to format them, it will by default I think use GPT so you should be good. If in doubt or you run in to trouble, use gdisks or other disk tool and verify what type of partition table is on the disk, if it's MBR then that's your first & foremost problem.

lissa374

SOLVED Re: CentOS 7 Big Disk Installation

Post by lissa374 » 2019/05/27 18:10:15

Anyone know how to install CentOS 7 on a MBR partition table formatted HD? I have for many years run a multiboot box with 3 to 5 OS's installed. However, when I attempt to install CentOS 7 it wants a gpt formatted HD. Now, I have on occasion had both mbr and gpt on the same HD, but I've forgotten how I got the GRUB to play nicely. And anyway, I understand that it is possible to install CentOS 7 on a MBR partition table formatted HD. Just can't remember/find what I need to do. Any suggestions?
P.S., I already have all the HD's in this box that the mb will support. So, no more HD's.

SOLVED Found an answer in reading the FAQ :o
I think I'll just forget using my faux CMS BIOS / MBR (DOS) partition tabled HD with CentOS and its current incarnation of installer (Anaconda). :roll: