[New user] - Read-Only

General support questions
adminsys

[New user] - Read-Only

Post by adminsys » 2019/02/26 11:30:40

Hello,

I am here in order to find a solution to my problem and i hope you will be able to help me. I would like to know if it is possible to create a read only user not on a specific folder but on the whole system. This user should be able to naviguate into folders and files in order to read them but he shouldn't be able to modify them.

I have seen a lot of topics but they were not really understandable or answering my problem that's why i am asking you here and I hope this is understandable due to the fact that english is not my fluent language.

Best regards

pjsr2

Re: [New user] - Read-Only

Post by pjsr2 » 2019/02/26 21:24:05

This user should be able to naviguate into folders and files in order to read them but he shouldn't be able to modify them.
Most of the files and folders cannot be modified at all by normal users. This is an essential property if you want to fulfill basic requirements for system security.

Normal users can only add/modify files in their home directory or in the /tmp and /var/tmp directories.
Many programs need some location to store configuration information or temporary files. So making a system 100 % read-only will make many programs fail. Distributions that can run completely from a DVD or other read-only file system solve this by creating a file system in memory and putting the home directory of a user in that memory based file system.