CentOS 7 Boot Issue

General support questions
ChackoSupreme

CentOS 7 Boot Issue

Post by ChackoSupreme » 2019/03/15 17:59:07

Hello,

I wasn't sure on what the format is to post here (and didn't see any quick articles on how to style my post) so I'm probably going to miss a bunch of preferred information until I get back filled.

We are building a new Zabbix server using CentOS 7 (I will have to check on the exact version) on a Dell R720.

This server was running nominally until I went to reboot it yesterday to setup the iDRAC.

After that reboot - the system is running very strangely.

There are no visible errors during the load up but when you get into the terminal (from connecting straight to the machine with a crash cart) it will let you log in and then say:
unable to get context for <user> (root and our other accounts)
Then display the failed logins, and the CLI

I am able to get certain commands to function instantly, like top, yum, and any file services (cd/rm/mv/ls). Every other command hangs for a rather long time and all services appear to be stopped.

I tried to get a systemctl status and it will tell me that the operation timed out or failed to connect.

When I did a journalctl and grepped for "FAILURE" I see the logind and systemd failed to load.

I have tried to manually start systemd but the system either just hangs here or tells me that the DBUS is unavailable.

I am not entirely sure what broke here and I'm also not sure how to even begin troubleshooting a boot up problem like this.

Can anyone possibly tell me what logs I should be parsing through to figure out what is failing?
Last edited by ChackoSupreme on 2019/03/18 15:20:42, edited 1 time in total.

mashiro2004

Re: CentOS 7 Zabbix Server Issue

Post by mashiro2004 » 2019/03/15 20:45:17

Seeams to be a SELINUX problem.
Have you configured it correctly? if you put it in permissive does zabbix work?

ChackoSupreme

Re: CentOS 7 Zabbix Server Issue

Post by ChackoSupreme » 2019/03/15 20:58:58

I haven't done anything with any of the services. I had Zabbix running fine on this server, as well as Apache, MariaDB, PHP 5.6, and PHPMyAdmin.

I am really not sure what could have broke in that reboot. The last program we installed on it was the traceroute tool.

So I am looking to figure out where to even begin with troubleshooting on this. Is there a way to like run through line by line all of the start up processes and step through to see what fails?

I also have SELinux set to disabled AFAIK. This seems to be an error that is happening before it can even dream about loading the HTTPD.

Like it's failing to load the SystemD.

ChackoSupreme

Re: CentOS 7 Boot Issue

Post by ChackoSupreme » 2019/03/18 17:05:08

I have temporarily resolved the issue - though I'm not sure this was actually a fix or not.

I tested re-fitting the hard disks to the front, and upon powering back up and reloading the virtual disk properties - it appears to be properly loading now. So I think the issue may have been failure to load files.

I am still curious if there is a way to boot into a safe mode where you can watch CentOS load objects line by line or what files I would want to review to see what failed to load during the boot.

Thank you