General support questions
ron7000

systemctl going from multi-user to graphical runlevel 3 to 5

Post by ron7000 » 2019/03/16 15:48:20

just learning about systemctl.
After having installed centos-7.6.1810 as server with gui I have done

Code: Select all

systemctl set-default multi-user.target
this works fine, I reboot and i am in runlevel 3 no graphics get the prompt and I log in [as root].

I then do

systemctl isolate graphical.target
and that fails. But if I do init 5 it launches GDM and whatever else and I get graphics.

Do I keep using init or what is the proper systemctl command? thanks.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: systemctl going from multi-user to graphical runlevel 3 to 5

Post by TrevorH » 2019/03/16 16:54:31

In what way does systemctl isolate fail?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

ron7000

Post by ron7000 » 2019/03/16 17:24:51

ha, it's working now. don't know why.

exploring installing installing nvidia graphics card driver and also nvidia cuda, do not want to deal with elrepo and kmod stuff (for now) I feel more comfortable getting the .run files directly from Nvidia, which will support K, P, and V nvidia cards in servers.

What I did was
  • install from7.6-1810 from dvd, on optiplex7010 test pc with k600 graphics card, server with gui, works fine on nouveau.
  • modify grub command line to blacklist nouveau, reboot, graphics completely busted can't log in gaphically so trick is to
  • systemctl set-default multi-user.target, then modify /etc/default/grub and do grub2-mkconfig, then reboot.
  • reboots into runlevel 3, tried "systemctl isolate graphical.target;" and that failed gave some error so i did "nit 5" and that worked. This was after doing a full software update after dvd install.
  • So i rebooted again, after installing nvidia and cuda .run files, cam into runlevel 3, installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-418.43.run successfully, then rebooted, came into runlevel 3 I then used "systemctl isolate graphical.target" and it worked.
  • then went back to run level 3 and installed systemctl isolate graphical.target
  • as well as settings "fips=1 boot=UUID=blabla" and doing dracut -v -f" followed by another "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/efi/centos/grub2.cfg"
I am using successfully using

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb verbose rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0 fips=1 boot=UUID=5ef7d520-7b65-4816-abff-85ad46533c36"
FYI... I think fips through a /var/run/nologin into the mix causing pam_nologin to take effect and could only log in as root afterward, until I deleted /var/run/nologin

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/03/16 17:51:00

If you use the .run files then you will need to reinstall them each and every time there is a kernel update. If you use the ELRepo ones then they usually only need it when a new point release comes along (next up 7.7).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke