Process on how to create AMIs

General support questions
bsclark

Process on how to create AMIs

Post by bsclark » 2019/06/03 22:13:49

Looking for the documentation, git repo, etc for the step-by-step process used by the CentOS team to make the AWS AMIs.

Can someone point me in the right direction? My Google-fu is failing me on this.

Thanks.

aks

Re: Process on how to create AMIs

Post by aks » 2019/06/04 17:08:58

Why?

Just use the official CentOS AMI and go from there - use your config management for that. Yes, yes, yum erase is not as "good" as yum install!

When I first started using cloud like services I was thinking we need to do these things and make it (almost) bespoke for this application. Let's upload a "generic" AMI and go from there. Turns out, state is the enemy, get rid of it as much as you can. Use generic and build specific only when really wanted. And do it in a way that will ALWAYS result in the same thing (tm).

When thinking about VMs (which are not *really* portable - despite vMotion and cousins) who cares that (for example) CentOS java-headless pulls in a bunch of X stuff (really for legacy reasons IMO)? I don't (well I do, it angers me, but not really). I'm not transporting that VM anywhere in the cloud. I'm using containers and that's where I care about size, because that's what I (may) transport.

Make sense?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Process on how to create AMIs

Post by TrevorH » 2019/06/04 17:16:23

I don't believe there is any doc about this. It's currently not at all transparent and is due to be reviewed to make it clearer and more public but that probably won't happen until CentOS 8 is out and things are a little less hectic.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke