srujan8

Python3.8 uninstallation

Post by srujan8 » 2019/10/23 05:42:31

How to uninstall python3.8, my default python version is 2.7

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Python3.8 uninstallation

Post by TrevorH » 2019/10/23 14:17:40

By re-running whatever process you used to install it in the first place. If you used a ./configure/make process to do this then you might be able to use a `make uninstall` target, otherwise you need to manually track down all the files it installed and remove or replace them.

The system python on CentOS 7 must be the 2.7 version that we ship. Must. You cannot replace the system python with a different one. If you need a newer python then multiple places ship a python3 stack that installs in parallel to the system 2.7 that we ship. No-one yet ships 3.8 as it's too new. There are python 3.6 packages in the CentOS 7.7 base and updates repos. Use those. They are supported and are the same versions that are in CentOS 8 so you know things written on one should work on the other.

Python 3.8 has been out for about 3 days and this is an Enterprise operating system which emphasizes stability over functionality by deliberately shipping older and better tested packages and you install a barely tested brand new .0 release on it by installing from source? None of those things are either advised or supported.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke