No VGA input after new install

General support questions
happysmile

No VGA input after new install

Post by happysmile » 2019/11/04 13:00:03

I am a new guy.I am new to linux.I want my old laptop install redhat6.
I want to just install the full multiuser mode,which means just textual-based operating system.
I am really confused,I installed the os,but when I link the display (VGA),the display say no input signal...
Minimal install system.I don't know why?please help me.Thanks!!!

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: No VGA input after new install

Post by scottro » 2019/11/04 22:14:56

I changed your subject to something more useful than Please Help me, which is the sort of title that will be ignored.

I'm sorry, I don't have the answer to your issue but I can offer the following advice.
You may want to look at How to ask questions the smart way which gives a good explanation of phrasing questions so that you're more likely to get an answer. While it is written more for programmers, it is still useful for anyone posting a question to a forum or mailing list.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/04 22:23:47

"redhat6"?

Do you mean RHEL 6 as in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6? or do you mean Red Hat Linux 6?

If the former then really you should probably install something newer as RHEL 6 only has one year of life left. If you meant RHL6 then I hope this is for some sort of history lesson and not something you intend to run for real?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2019/11/04 23:01:49

happysmile wrote:
2019/11/04 13:00:03
I want to just install the full multiuser mode,which means just textual-based operating system.
I am really confused,I installed the os,but when I link the display (VGA),the display say no input signal...
First you are posting to the WRONG FORUM You should be posting your question to REDHAT... Yes CentOS is a clone of RHEL, but in that case you should be asking in the CentOS 6 Fourm NOT CentOS 7.

That said IF you are getting something that says "No Signal Input" there are two basic reasons: 1) You do NOT have a cable connected between the external monitor and the laptop (that assumes you are using an external monitor). An easy test would be to remove the cable and use the laptop monitor. If something comes up then the problem is your cable link. 2) It hasn't gone through POST yet. It will often display "No Signal Input" for a brief period. There is a third possibility and that is there is no power reaching the monitor. If you are using the laptop monitor that usually means you can't POST.

You say "I want my old laptop install..." How OLD is OLD?!? What type of CPU are you running and how much System RAM do you have? What OS exactly are you trying to install on that "OLD" laptop: RHEL 6, CentOS 6, or CentOS 7.7?!? If you are trying to install CentOS 7.7 on an OLD laptop you are bound to be disappointed, especially if that OLD laptop is a 32 bit laptop and not a 64 bit laptop. Even if it is a 64 bit laptop if you have 2-4 GB of RAM it will be slower than a sludge ball to run.

Finally IF your "OLD" laptop has some Horsepower behind it, WHY in God's Name are you doing a "minimal install" ?!? Linux is NOT some humongous beast like Windows 10, even with a GUI such as GNOME or KDE, and even if you don't like their "huge" size there are GUI's such as XFCE, and even a few others such as Cinnamon that are smaller. Do yourself a favor: First find out exactly is in your laptop and if it is a 32 bit or 64 bit CPU. If it is a 32 bit CPU you need a 32 bit OS -- if CentOS that means CentOS 6 32 bit, not 64 bit. Find out how much RAM you have. If you have a wimpy amount of RAM you might want to explore something like Linux Mint, Ubuntu, or Puppy Linux. Lastly get away from this idea of loading a "Minimal Install" -- for someone who does not know linux you are only setting yourself up to fail. Install the OS +GUI and forget this "Minimal Install" jazz.

Without further information about this "OLD" laptop there is very little anyone here can help you with. The best thing is to troubleshoot it yourself ie check cables, power is on, etc. etc., etc. and then ask a very specific question stating exactly what you have already tried.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2019/11/04 23:26:14

TrevorH wrote:
2019/11/04 22:23:47
"redhat6"?

Do you mean RHEL 6 as in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6? or do you mean Red Hat Linux 6?

If the former then really you should probably install something newer as RHEL 6 only has one year of life left. If you meant RHL6 then I hope this is for some sort of history lesson and not something you intend to run for real?
IF he actually means Red Hat Linux 6... that means he has kernel series 2.2 or less. His computer would be a real piece of history. His best bet in that case would be to try and find something like Mandrake or maybe Red Hat Linux 7 WOW!!

No, I can't see him owning a laptop computer that is 19 years old, he *must* mean RHEL 6, probably on a laptop built circa 2010-2012, with a CPU that could be either 32 bit or 64 bit probably based around an Intel Atom processor. Been there and done that having fixed one for friend.

tony_down_under
Location: Perth, Australia but originally from Carshalton, Surrey

Post by tony_down_under » 2019/11/05 01:44:20

happysmile wrote:
Have you more than one video output on the computer? May be a HDMI as well as VGA ?

Dont use redhat (linux) 6. Use CentOS 7 and use the graphical gui. You can always switch to CLI only if you want to but for the initial set up, the gnome gui and associated tools will help you with your display problem (amongst other things)

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2019/11/05 11:24:19

tony_down_under wrote:
2019/11/05 01:44:20
happysmile wrote:
Have you more than one video output on the computer? May be a HDMI as well as VGA ?

Dont use redhat (linux) 6. Use CentOS 7 and use the graphical gui. You can always switch to CLI only if you want to but for the initial set up, the gnome gui and associated tools will help you with your display problem (amongst other things)
Agree, but he says this is an OLD Laptop. The Question becomes How OLD is "OLD"?!? He does not say, or even provide the model of the laptop.

A friend of mine had an OLD laptop that had all types of problems and was ready to give it to me. Bad move you KNOW I was going to trash Windows (the OS was toast but I was able to save her files which I copied off and onto a thumb drive), and try to install Linux on it. I told her I could fix it for her so that would work again. It was indeed OLD built around 2009-2010. After a lot of research I discovered this had an Intel Atom 32 bit CPU., it had a HDD which we swapped out and installed a 250GB SSD, and while I tried to install CentOS 7.x 32 bit it was a disaster, so installed CentOS 6.11, and boy did it rock. I think for somewhere around $100, I returned her laptop, new Battery (that too was almost dead), a NEW 250GB SSD, and running CentOS 6.11, and threw in some of my own special touches. The one program she wanted was Google Chrome, which was no longer available for CentOS 6, so I installed Chromium, and a few other nice touches. While the laptop I returned to her was not "New", I had breathed new life into something that was on its last legs.

I *suspect* that when this guy say "OLD" he is talking about one of those 2010-2012 vintage Laptops with maybe 2 GB of RAM, and based around one of those Intel Atom 32 bit CPU's. They are ubiquitous. We might be pleasantly surprised and find out it is 2-4 tears old, but until he tells us something about the hardware... That he mentions Red Hat 6... I suspect that he has a 32 bit laptop. [SHRUG].

tony_down_under
Location: Perth, Australia but originally from Carshalton, Surrey

Post by tony_down_under » 2019/11/12 01:12:50

I took "old" to mean 1 or 2 years old. May be an old 2GHz intel i5... I have an "OLD!" laptop at home which was a bit crappy when I bought it new in 2012. It is an intel i3 with 4GB ram and a 256GB SSD. Has no problems running Windows 10 and so Centos will fly. But in other words, yes I agree with you :)