Custom Install ISO Anaconda Failure

General support questions
vnick

Custom Install ISO Anaconda Failure

Post by vnick » 2020/01/02 16:55:30

Hey, everyone,

I'm attempting to generate a custom install ISO using CentOS 7 Minimal as the base image. I have three things that I want to do:
1) Use kernel-lt from the elrepo to boot the installer (due to missing hardware support in the stock CentOS 7 kernel).
2) Install a few additional/custom packages during the install.
3) Kickstart the install, so that it is automated.

For item 1, I was able to grab the kernel and all of the drivers, generate a new initrd, and also unsquash the LiveOS image to get the kernel switched out. Once I figured out all of the places that I needed to copy modules, this didn't seem to be an issue - the installer boots fine and everything seems to work.

For item 2, I copied the additional packages into the Packages/ folder, cleaned out the repodata folder (with the exception of comps.xml), and then regenerated repodata/ using the "-g" switch to specify the comps.xml so that the Core group is recognized.

For item 3, I've generated the ks.cfg file, validated it using ksvalidator, and copied it into place in the ISO. I've modified the isolinux.cfg file with the ks=cdrom:/isolinux/ks.cfg option such that it boots into the Kickstart install and automates it.

However, I'm running into an issue when the install actually kicks off, specifically once it gets to the package selection step of the install process. I get the following warning:

Code: Select all

Error populating transaction, anaconda is retrying (1/10)
Error populating transaction, anaconda is retrying (2/10)
(etc.)

When it finally fails, after try 10/10, the error references the fipscheck-lib package:

Error populating transaction after 10 anacona retries: failure: fipscheck-lib-1.4.1-6.el7.x86_64.rpm from anacona: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
I've verified that this package exists on the install media, is present at the time the repodata is built and has a valid size. There are no other indications that I can find in the logs as to why it cannot locate this package.

I found a couple of posts that indicate that the error occurs when you generate the ISO with the incorrect options, and specifically referenced making sure to use the "-U" or "-untranslated-filenames" option, which I am using, but this doesn't seem to have resolved the issue. My genisoimage command is as follows:

genisoimage -U -r -v -T -J -joliet-long -V 'CentOS 7 x86_64' -volset 'CentOS 7 x86_64' -A 'CentOS 7 x86_64' -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -eltorito-alt-boot -e images/efiboot.img -no-emul-boot -o /mnt/newiso.iso .
Any hints would be greatly appreciated - I've worked through many of the hurdles in getting this custom ISO built, but I seem to have hit a wall, here.