Stuck on the installation page

General support questions
Jumboprophet

Stuck on the installation page

Post by Jumboprophet » 2024/03/02 07:32:45

I am new to the community and linux centos 7, and now trying to install centos 7 via VMware fusion. Im using MACBOOK PRO M1, and the iso is CentOS-7-aarch64-Everything-2009.iso and goes with 8.12GB in size.

When running the VM, it shows the installation page with three options:
Install Centos 7
test this media & install centos 7
troubleshooting -->

when select the first two, the page bounces back to the same page, and not moving forward, the instellation doesnt start, when select the toubleshooting, it goes with two sub-options:
install centos7 in basic graphics mode
rescue a centos system
when selected each of them, both bounce back to this troubeshooting option page.

I figured it might be the problem of ISO file, so i downloaded again from another mirror, and also downloaded the minimum version. The problem remains the same, so i guess that might be the problem of my setting of VM. By the way, when created this VM, I selected system "Linux - red hat enterprise linux 9 64-bit arm" as i cannot find any options of centos. other settings are like:
core 2
memory 2048
hard drive 20g - scsi
cd bus type - scsi

So wonder if anyone knows how to crack this thing and let the instellation goes successfully, much appreciated.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Stuck on the installation page

Post by TrevorH » 2024/03/02 15:51:25

CentOS 7 is too old to work on an M1 chip. It will never work.

More specifically, M! chips have a page size that CentOS 7 has never heard of and the entire kernel would need to be recompiled (and probably code fixed) and this is never going to happen given that it goes completely EOL in approximately 3 months time).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Jumboprophet

Post by Jumboprophet » 2024/03/04 12:46:05

Thanks so much for clear this up, well, like I said, Im new to this linux system, and would like to learn and use on my mac, is this machine able to run any ARM 64 version of linux on top of the VM, go with RHEL 9, should I

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2024/03/04 13:10:42

The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke