Comfortable interface for KVM? (with PCIe Passthrough)

Issues related to applications and software problems
shawly

Comfortable interface for KVM? (with PCIe Passthrough)

Post by shawly » 2015/05/20 06:21:01

Hi guys,

I am searching for a comfortable way to administrate KVM via Web-GUI, a remote Client or even via SSH (given that it's comfortable).
I already got VGA passthrough via vfio working under Arch Linux with KVM, so I'm not the average newtolinux-guy that wants a clickyclicky interface because he can't use the terminal, no. I'm no expert, but I know the most basics and I know how to use google. :) Oh and yes, I already found the Management Tools on the kvmlinux page, but I don't know which one to use, that's why I'm asking here.

The thing is, I just really find it uncomfortable to create a virtual machine via virsh, I haven't done it often enough to remember all the parameters so creating a vm takes about 5-10 mins, instead of the usual 1 min via the vSphere Client or XenCenter.
I don't want to use ESXi anymore, because when I pass through my TV card it gets recognized of the vm OS but scanning channels just won't work under Xen the passthrough really won't work and yes, my Xeon has VT-d and my motherboard supports it, like I said vga passthrough worked, not as good as I hoped but it did.

Proxmox is no alternative for me, I tried it and I find it very.. well I just don't like it.
So I wanted to use CentOS and KVM, but virsh is holding me back.. Back when I used Arch, I tried virt-manager but I couldn't change the chipset to q35 and other things where I ended up editing the xml of the vm to get the things I wanted, which was also pretty annoying.

I wanted to try oVirt with a hosted engine, I can't remember what it was, but there were some errors which made me crazy, so I switched back to ESXi, since I host my NAS as a vm and can't access the data until it's up and running.

So is there any interface which makes at least creating vms as fast as in XenCenter or vSphere Client where I can configure everything without editing the xml template?

gulikoza

Re: Comfortable interface for KVM? (with PCIe Passthrough)

Post by gulikoza » 2015/05/20 07:03:43

I mostly use virt-manager to create VMs, then edit xml by hand to finish configuration.
Unfortunately for reasons beyond my comprehension, virt-manager is being "dumbed-down" and options are being removed instead of added in each version....

The version for Centos7 no longer has the option to set clock offset (it just assumes I run all my linux guests on UTC?) and insists on having libvirt managed store for every image that is added to the VM (while libvirt documentation explicitly states that managed store is not needed for VMs...therefore virt-manager happily chokes when adding devices from /dev for example...).

edit: of the web interfaces I found Kimchi pretty promising. It still lacks some functions, but it's pretty lightweight compared to other stuff that replaces half the OS....especially oVirt is developed with managing multiple nodes in mind, so it's too complicated for 1 or 2 standalone servers...

shawly

Post by shawly » 2015/05/20 07:38:36

gulikoza wrote: The version for Centos7 no longer has the option to set clock offset (it just assumes I run all my linux guests on UTC?) and insists on having libvirt managed store for every image that is added to the VM (while libvirt documentation explicitly states that managed store is not needed for VMs...therefore virt-manager happily chokes when adding devices from /dev for example...).

edit: of the web interfaces I found Kimchi pretty promising.
Well, one reason more why I don't want to use virt-manager..
Kimchi currently does not yet support pci passthrough, so I'm not sure, does Kimchi provide enough config features so I don't have to edit the xml like with virt-manager?

waishingleung

Post by waishingleung » 2015/05/22 08:30:24

vl1969

Post by vl1969 » 2015/05/27 19:21:05

this is so funny, I am currently at the process of building my own home VM/File server.
and I end it up here because I want to use oVirt.

I am not a total noob but close enough. (I come from windows world and been using Linux at home for about a year. went totally windows free at home for about 6 month and counting.)

I have some specific needs/wants that kind of make it more difficult to zero down the best options.
as in I want to use a BTRFS pools on the main server(HOST) to provide as shared storage to all lan, real PC AND VMs

I have looked @
Proxmox -- not good for me as it has limited support for BTRFS (not my conclusion but general consensus on the net) and since it is Debian based I am not sure I want to go that route.

I run an OpenSuse 13.1 with LXDE desktop and libvirt, not bad but not too good either. also it is a shame to run a server with a desktop. also I could never properly connect to it from the outside. local network only.
my server is basically headless (I do have an old monitor and keyboard connected but it it in the basement and I really do not want to go there all the time)

Virtualmin is not not it. it only manages the websites on local Apachy server (as far as I can tell)
Cloudmin is more to the point of managing VMs but it is a pain to setup. I have tried to configure it for 2 weeks without a good results. it installs easily enough but config an a pain in the neck.
and the support is almost non-existing despite the fact that they have pages and pages of info on the site, it is very disorganized and not very useful for all intended needs and purposes.

oVirt looks promising.

my idea so far is have a headless server setup +Webmin (for actual server management via WebGUI) + oVirt
for VM management via WebGUI.

my one issue so far (a side for difficulties of setting up proper networking with bridging ) is that, and I have tried this 2 times so far, when I install and setup oVirt, I lose WebMin interface.
oVirt page is there and Webmin page is nowhere to be seen.

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2015/05/27 19:23:52

Stay away from BTRFS if you value your data.

vl1969

Post by vl1969 » 2015/05/27 19:40:20

gerald_clark wrote:Stay away from BTRFS if you value your data.
why?
I have been running my server on BTRFS shares for the last 3 years.
my OpenSuse setup was fully BTRFS, system disk and data shares. no issues what so ever.

aks

Post by aks » 2015/05/27 19:42:05

I have no problem with BTRFS - I know there are still quite a few edge cases to consider and RH doesn't "allow" it yet, but a lot of people seem quite happy with it.

vl1969

Post by vl1969 » 2015/05/27 20:08:56

RH allows it, just marks it as in tech review.
but many other distros are going mainstream with it.

OpenSuse, Ubuntu, even CentOs and Fedora support it.

if you careful and not pompous about how you using it you will be OK

monitor your data usage, do not allow the pools to over-fill,keep your snapshots in check
and you will not get in to much trouble. it might not be 100% ready to go production but for home use it's good.