Kernel Panic Advice

Issues related to applications and software problems
dcrdev

Re: Kernel Panic Advice

Post by dcrdev » 2017/08/23 17:38:59

So I managed to get someone from the Redhat forums to have a look at the bug report.

In a nutshell this isn't just localised to zfs - it applies to all applications that exert extremely heavy i/o operations when using the nvme storage driver. Redhat have a fix and that fix is in QA for RHEL 7.5. Apparently the fix is being back ported to kernel-3.10.0-514.30.1.el7 as well - I've asked for the patches so that I can apply them to the source rpm myself; haven't received a response yet.

This leaves me in a bit of predicament because I don't think I can trust nvme in production given this issue. If RH don't provide the patches, then the only way forward I see is temporarily migrating to kernel-lt from ELRepo, but I'd rather not to be honest.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/08/23 18:05:18

The 514-30 kernel you mention will never see CentOS as that's a Z stream kernel for 7.3. If you're lucky your issue is already fixed in 7.4's -693 kernel or RH will backport to the fix to that.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

dcrdev

Post by dcrdev » 2017/08/23 20:27:37

Thanks Trevor, but...

This strikes me as an incredibly hard thing to work out:
  • The original bug is private - therefore no way of knowing what the changes were that fixed it.
  • All the bug entries in the kernel spec file for 693 are also marked as private and therefore no way of knowing whether the items are related.
I'm finding this all very difficult as I'm coming from Fedora server where I'm used to being able to read bug reports as and when I wish. Am I missing something, or is it just pretty much hope it's fixed?

EDIT: OK so have been told by Redhat that these changes have been backported to 7.4 - great! The people I spoke with were all very helpful, but I'm still bemused by how difficult it is to track these things. I'm coming from Fedora server predominantly so I guess I'm not used to bugzilla being closed.

Guess I've got to hold tight for 7.4.