Software installs remain pending, never get installed

Issues related to applications and software problems
eddiener

Software installs remain pending, never get installed

Post by eddiener » 2014/07/20 02:20:51

If I add some software with the Software app in CentOS7 it sits in the Pending area but evidently never gets installed. I am actually trying to install Yumex so I never have to use the Software app again on CentOS7. How do I get the Software app to actually install something rather than have it just sit there in the Pending queue forever ?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Software installs remain pending, never get installed

Post by TrevorH » 2014/07/20 09:36:43

Unfortunately yumex from EPEL is currently broken so that's why it doesn't get installed. If you open a root command prompt and try yum install yumex you will see the errors. This is an EPEL problem and needs them to fix it.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

eddiener

Post by eddiener » 2014/07/21 03:11:34

TrevorH wrote:Unfortunately yumex from EPEL is currently broken so that's why it doesn't get installed. If you open a root command prompt and try yum install yumex you will see the errors. This is an EPEL problem and needs them to fix it.
I see where yumex depends on other packages which are not in EPEL7 or the default installed repositories, so it does not install.

I did manage to install thunderbird and nemo, so some installations from EPEL7 to do work. Maybe some other repostories ( repoforge ? ) will start building packages for RHEL7/CentOS7. I really like yumex compared to gpk-application and do hope the EPEL7 will fix things so that Yumex can be installed. When working with Gnome3 I really like to install a number of things which makes Gnome's minimalist functionality more usable for me.

jerrymc

Post by jerrymc » 2014/08/01 00:15:17

The yumex in EPEL for CentOS 7 appears to be permanently broken. However, there is a working version in nux-dextop.