CentOS 7 with wpa supplicant only ie without NetworkManager?

Issues related to applications and software problems
varusrntoolong

CentOS 7 with wpa supplicant only ie without NetworkManager?

Post by varusrntoolong » 2016/05/31 20:19:04

I've installed centos 7 and I'd like to know if it's possible to get rid of NetworkManager?

Yum wants to remove wpa_supplicant when I removed NetworkManager and its dependencies.

I didn't see this dependency on Debian where I could have wifi with wpa supplicant only.

If it's not possible, I guess I'll have to live with it..

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: CentOS 7 with wpa supplicant only ie without NetworkManager?

Post by scottro » 2016/05/31 21:04:23

Hrrm, seems to me I've done that, but I don't remember the exact deal. You can simply disable NetworkManager. RedHat, and therefore CentOS, are making it harder and harder to avoid NetworkManager though. I see that on this CentOS-7.x box that I'm writing from, I have NetworkManager-libnm but not the NetworkManager package itself, and do have wpa_supplicant. You could possibly try removing NetworkManager with something like rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager, but whether that would break something or not, I don't know, and regardless, it would be reinstalled next time wpa_supplicant was upgraded.

My suggestion is to disable NetworkManager in systemd with systemctl disable NetworkManager.service and let it stay. (You might also, next time it gets upgraded, doublecheck that systemd hasn't re-enabled it.)
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages