Start Cent os without a monitor

Issues related to applications and software problems
pepito256

Start Cent os without a monitor

Post by pepito256 » 2017/01/18 09:13:23

Hello. I hava a one Mini PC with Cent os 7 . This computes is used for a Apache server and controller and configure with SSH. This PC have a HDMI port and Displayport. I need start Cent os without Monitor Connected. because now no start without monitor.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Start Cent os without a monitor

Post by TrevorH » 2017/01/18 09:17:30

Check your BIOS settings for options.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

albertj358

Post by albertj358 » 2017/01/21 14:22:25

pepito256 wrote:Hello. I hava a one Mini PC with Cent os 7 . This computes is used for a Apache server and controller and configure with SSH. This PC have a HDMI port and Displayport. I need start Cent os without Monitor Connected. because now no start without monitor.
I had an issue with 7.x on an ASUS system that includes an added in AMD video card (due to my dislike of built-in Intel video) that acted very slow after booting without the monitor connected. This is even after disabling the Intel video in the BIOS. I ended up buying a 'monitor emulator' plug, that connects to the DVI port on the AMD video card. I've since bought an DVI extender cable to move the front of the server, so that I can remove the plug and connect the monitor more easily if needed.

With the monitor emulator plug, the system boots fine, and has no slowness issues. Without the plug, it's still slow, mostly evident in SSH sessions, when accepting input. (It acts and looks like a slow network connection.)

The plug I got was less than $20. You need to get one with EDID support. This should fix the problem, unless as mentioned previously, you have a BIOS setting that allows headless booting.

Al McCann

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2017/01/21 15:45:20

Can we assume that the default target is multi-user.target and not graphical.target? There is no point in running X server on headless station.