Post by csptra » 2017/01/20 23:56:34

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to find out what default means in the snmpd.conf logs

Specifically this line:

Code: Select all

# First, map the community name "public" into a "security name"
#       sec.name        source          community
#com2sec notConfigUser   default         public
I was thinking default means "let me connect from anywhere" .. but that doesn't seem true in my tests. I had to specify localhost/specific IPs

OK: I found this in the man page: http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/man/snmpd.conf.html
...map an SNMPv1 or SNMPv2c community string to a security name - either from a particular range of source addresses, or globally ("default")
however, with my tests, I can't get that to work, I just get response timeouts. Does anyone know why that would be?

aks

Re: snmpd.conf ACL sources

Post by aks » 2017/01/22 19:30:48

response timeouts

Could be a firewall, I'm not aware of any firewall that allows external SNMP (particularly v1 & v2c by default). From memory, you have to configure it - i.e.: I think that by default the public v1/2 is disabled as it's so well known.

What are you trying to achieve?

csptra

Post by csptra » 2017/01/28 15:15:57

Thanks for the response, I apologize for the delay.

Ultimately, I wanted to get snmp setup in order to check on various hardware specs from Nagios.

1) Disk space
2) running processes
3) CPU Load
4) other...

I am still curious about the default definition, but at least it is working with the defined IPs. Now, I'm trying to get the running processes MIB/OID Mapped. This has been a learning process for sure :)

aks

Post by aks » 2017/01/29 20:01:30

Take it you got it working.

To see installed stuff the OID is HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWInstalledName.<id> and for stuff that's running (in virual memory): HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunPath..<pid - usually pid, depends on thje config and how how UCDavis interprets>