Samba Print Server [print$] share permissions: Access Denied

Issues related to applications and software problems
jocose

Samba Print Server [print$] share permissions: Access Denied

Post by jocose » 2017/02/26 22:48:05

I have been trying to setup a SAMBA print server with the point and print feature enabled. (users will automatically be pointed to drivers on network share rather than having to install them each time.)

These are the wikipages I've been using:
  • Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Print_Server
  • Setting_up_Automatic_Printer_Driver_Downloads_for_Windows_Clients
  • Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member

I've heard this feature can be difficult to get working. I'm stuck trying to move the print$ share.

The default directory is: /var/lib/samba/drivers

As far as I can tell this directory is created on install and works. I would like to move the directory to another location. According to the wiki the directory structure should be automatically created when the SAMBA service starts. It's tries to do it but fails, and stops the service from starting.

I've tried adding AD domain users and groups with chown/chgrp to the directory, but i'm skeptical that would matter while starting the service. I'm running as root, and root is specified as the the group and owner on the directory.

I've tried permissions at 2775, 2777, 0777

The directory in the smb.conf is defined as follows. I've tried removing everything but the directory path and "read only = no", and have added various permissions, basically trying to allow as much as possible just to see if it would work.

Code: Select all

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /srv/samba/drivers
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        write list = root, @"domain admins", @admin_gorup
At this point I just want to figure out how I might trouble shoot this. I'm more concerned with understanding how I might solve this problem than the problem itself.

I'm still new to Linux administration and want to figure this out for my own benefit.