Windows 7 install from PXE server

Issues related to applications and software problems
supertight

Re: Windows 7 install from PXE server

Post by supertight » 2017/03/18 21:00:59

I moved the winpe file out of the win7x32 folder and directly into the tftpboot folder.
the client pc now locates the winpe file. The client pc gives the dots across the screen. then prompts, Press any key to boot from dvd/cd.
hit enter and the screen goes blank. I'm should get a command prompt? inside a windows pre install enviroment, right?
I'm not sure what to do next.

aks

Post by aks » 2017/03/19 18:44:17

Rather than guessing, look at what the client is doing. Capture the packets (Wireshark can decode for you). Look at what the client is trying to do and adjust accordingly.

supertight

Post by supertight » 2017/03/23 19:12:52

aks wrote:Rather than guessing, look at what the client is doing. Capture the packets (Wireshark can decode for you). Look at what the client is trying to do and adjust accordingly.
I will give wireshark a try and see what it says. Should be a good skill to learn.

inside /var/lib/tftpboot, I can set sub folders for different RHEL distros.
e.g. I have the initrd and vmlinuz for CentsOS 7 in "/var/lib/tftpboot/cent7" same with ubuntu "/var/lib/tftpboot/ubuntu"
seems like the winPE needs to be directly in "/var/lib/tftpboot"

supertight

Post by supertight » 2017/03/26 22:39:19

**Update**

I've been experimenting while installing the new OS(from: 7/32-bit To: 6.8/32-bit) on my netbooks.

It seems that any modification to the named folder containing either the initrd/vmlinuz or the named folder containing the installation files; Results in an error.

Using mv to rename the folder will break the configuration.
Using rm to remove the folder and or the contents.
re-creating the folder with the same name with mkdir and using mv to place new files inside.
All create an error during boot. Regardless of corresponding changes to the corresponding .conf file.

The folder and files will work on the initial setup. However, any changes from there out will break the process.
I'm configuring currently configuring dhcpd on srv1 to work with tftpboot on srv2. As soon as I have it configured, I'm going to run wireshark while attempting to re-configure the broken menu options.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/03/27 11:54:21

If that mv is on CentOS then it could be an selinux problem. If you use mv then it moves the file/directory and preserves its selinux context from the original location and moves that to the new place too. If you use cp and not mv then it will assign the correct selinux context to the new data based on its new location.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

supertight

Post by supertight » 2017/03/28 05:48:23

Thanks TrevorH,

Yes. Working in CentOS.

I'm still confused.

let's say my folder containing vmlinuz and initrd.img for booting CentOS-7.3 64-bit is named "CentOS", Located @ /var/lib/tftpboot/
If I use "MV" to rename the folder from "CentOS" to "64-bit" and make to corresponding changes to the .config files, I have success.
The error begins with any attempt to return the folder name to "CentOS". Using mkdir or mv errors out on the client computer.

I'm using:

Code: Select all

mkdir CentOS/
cp /original/mount/point/vmlinuz Cent0s/
cp /original/mount/point/initrd.img CentOS/
Or:

mv 64-bit/ CentOS/
cp /original/mount/point/vmlinuz Cent0s/
cp /original/mount/point/initrd.img CentOS/
Both will work for creation of a folder with a NEW name. .e.g "CentOS" to "64-bit"
Both create errors when attempting to use the OLD folder name. .e.g. "64-bit" to "CentOS"
Also any changes to the initrd.img file or vmlinuz file will break the configuration.
If I wanted to use the same folder but change distro's
e.g.

rm -fR CentOS/*
cp /original/mount/point/new/initrd.img CentOS/
cp /original/mount/point/new/vmlinuz Cent0s/
Followed by the proper .conf file changes makes errors on client computers during pxe.

Is this a Syslinux issue? I'm going to troubleshoot this more in the morning. I'll attempt:

cp CentOS/ 64-bit/
rm -fR CentOS/
cp 64-bit/ CentOS/
And see if that causes errors on the client during pxe and report back.