Unable to install 7.3 on new HP Z240 Tower

Issues related to applications and software problems
tsol

Unable to install 7.3 on new HP Z240 Tower

Post by tsol » 2017/04/19 21:12:02

I received new "linux" HP Z240 that I have been trying to install 7.3 on with no avail. I am using the DVD ISO and have the following BIOS configurations: 'legacy support disable & smart boot enabled', RST Rapping/turbo bost/hyperthreading/virtualization enabled, All UEFI option ROM, tpm enabled & fast boot disabled.

The first time I tried to run the installer I got an error stating there wasn't any available space even though there was over 200 GB of free space available. The I read that you can only have 4 'partitions' on the drive and all of them were listed as unknown. The 4 partitions were the default 512 MB ones that are standard on an HP build: HP_DOC, HP Tool, Recovery, and Free Dos. I tried removing the HP_Docs partition (no dice), then tried removing the UEFI labeled partition (no dice), and even tried reformating the uefi partition which moved it out of the unknown space. No matter what I do, I get the same error's which essentially are that there's no /boot/efi and/or no /boot available for install; no valid boot loader target device found. you must include an EFI system partition on a GPT-formatted disk, mounted at /boot/efi.

I was initially trying to do an install with XFCE from the getgo but since I don't have anything reachable from the installer and couldn't figure out how to get the additional repositories working, it was hours before I realized I had a more fundamental storage issue. I spoke to HP Support who didn't know anything about my base build outside of freedos is installed so that when you turn it on it's proof it's working. I initially received some weird UEFI file not found errors when I initially turned on uefi after I started having issues with the install. I initially was trying to install based on how it came and no bios changes.

JacobBaartse

Re: Unable to install 7.3 on new HP Z240 Tower

Post by JacobBaartse » 2017/11/02 12:11:04

I had the same problem, when I use centos 7.4 it worked nice again.