Compiling Totem from source?

Issues related to applications and software problems
Przemas

Compiling Totem from source?

Post by Przemas » 2017/04/20 21:00:36

I'm trying to compile Totem player from source (3.14 branch cloned from Github) with no luck. I've been able to pull all the dependencies.
Autogen.sh runs without errors. But when I try "make" command I get this around the point it breaks:

Code: Select all

Making all in appdata
make[3]: Wejście do katalogu `/home/przemek/Moje_Aplikacje/Github/totem/data/appdata'
Makefile:558: *** brakujący separator. Stop.
make[3]: Opuszczenie katalogu `/home/przemek/Moje_Aplikacje/Github/totem/data/appdata'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Błąd 1
make[2]: Opuszczenie katalogu `/home/przemek/Moje_Aplikacje/Github/totem/data'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Błąd 1
make[1]: Opuszczenie katalogu `/home/przemek/Moje_Aplikacje/Github/totem'
make: *** [all] Błąd 2
Any suggestions why is it happening? Did I lost some sort of options with autogen.sh?
Mind I'm not very experienced with this and I'm trying to figure it out :) .

Oh, and I know there is Totem package in repos and compiling Totem from source is not something done frequently. But as I'm now trying to get my video stuff working I've installed ffmpeg with nvenc (and other options) enabled (+other media related libraries). Which caused the default Totem to stop playing videos. Thought I'd try compiling it on my workstation, with the libraries I have installed in hopes that there's a chance it will start working that way.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Compiling Totem from source?

Post by TrevorH » 2017/04/20 21:33:41

Oh, and I know there is Totem package in repos and compiling Totem from source is not something done frequently
Not just "not something done frequently" but "unsupported".

If you need multimedia packages use the nux-dextop repo. Don't build from source, you will break things.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Przemas

Post by Przemas » 2017/04/20 21:39:05

TrevorH wrote:
Oh, and I know there is Totem package in repos and compiling Totem from source is not something done frequently
Not just "not something done frequently" but "unsupported".

If you need multimedia packages use the nux-dextop repo. Don't build from source, you will break things.
Sadly libs from nux-desktop have all the juicy stuff disabled (nvenc for example), thus I had to use the ones from Negativo repo - even though I suspected they might break Totem (it happened a while back on my Fedora pc - but there I had alternatives).
Thus trying to build parts from source seem to be an option.
Any ideas why Totem has not built?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/04/20 22:13:31

If you're going to do this, better to do it properly. Create packages for the things you want to replace. You could start by grabbing nux's SRPMs for the things you're interested in and amend those. In fact, start by rebuilding them exactly as they are to see if they build and amend your build environment until they do. Use mock which builds packages cleanly and doesn't pollute your system with loads of dependencies for the build that aren't needed during runtime.

If you install from source on top of packages that are installed then next time there is an update to the package, it will merrily overwrite files from your source build and that will promptly stop working. You cannot mix and match a packaged distro with a source built one - they fight each other and you end up the loser.
Use the FAQ Luke

Przemas

Post by Przemas » 2017/04/22 20:19:30

Thank you Trevor.
Totem is in base repo - it is default video player in Gnome. How can I grab srpm?

Do you know any good tutorial on Mock that would explain howto add dependencies? When it comes to it I somewhat regret I went ahead and started installing deps and haven't used Docker (at least the things I've learned when I tried to run OpenGL in Docker would be useful for something :D ).

I've suspected some of the problems you've mentioned thus I haven't overwritten existing stuff - I first uninstalled the packages I want to replace with the ones I build myself. I'm only a bit worried about orphaned packages.
I kinda understand I'm doing stuff that might be in minority among CentOS users. For me it is for desktop , professional use (3d modeling , plus a tiny bit of video editing) - thus as the repos are a bit lacking in that regard I'm looking for workarounds. I'm glad quite a bit of stuff is available as Appimages nowadays as I'd have much more tinkering to do.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/04/22 21:40:04

SRPMs for packages shipped by CentOS are on vault.centos.org

As for mock, it's really a smart front end for rpmbuild but it sets up a chroot environment and installs the pre-reqs in that before it starts to build. That means your SRPM specs need to use BuildRequires: lines for all the pre-reqs that are needed to build.
Use the FAQ Luke