Weird samba problem

Issues related to applications and software problems
Tecbill

Weird samba problem

Post by Tecbill » 2017/06/21 11:17:03

Dear Community, I've come to an end with my samba skills. I've set up a minimal CentOS7 inclusive Samba-Service. I connected the system to an Active Directory to give the availability to connect with AD-Users to samba shares, shared by that specific CentOS-System.
Unfortunately, by testing a test share, I mentioned a situation I didn't expect and that doesn't make sense to me, maybe someone of you can bring light into the dark. I set up the share by doing the following steps:

First of all I created a folder named "test" which I want to use as the share folder. On this folder I set the rights to 777 (drwxrwxrwx) by chmod-command with root-User.
After that I created the following entries into the smb.conf:

[TestShare]
comment = testShare
path = /test
writeable =yes

Inside the share I created a new folder named "subfolder" via command-line by local root-user. On this folder I set the rights to 773 (drwxrwx-wx), also by using chmod-command via root-User. No ACL-rights were set.
Now: When I use a Windows-machine logged in with a domain-user and connect to the SMB-share I can not change the name of that "subfolder" and even delete it, just read is allowed. And now comes the weird thing: When I change again by local root-User the rights of that "subfolder" to 774 (drwxrwxr--), I am able to change name or delete that "subfolder". If I change the rights back to 773 again, I am not able anymore to delete or change the "Subfolder". This totally makes no sense to me.

I know that there are ways to set more rights by using "valid users=" in the smb.conf or even other ways but I am not looking for the right solution, I just want to know why things are happening like they do in my case.

Tecbill

Re: Weird samba problem

Post by Tecbill » 2017/06/23 12:09:59

Anybody? Could please someone test an confirm my problem, it is easy an takes no time to repeat my steps. I really would appreciate your help.

GamesBond

Re: Weird samba problem

Post by GamesBond » 2017/07/09 20:58:12

Do you have selinux set to enforce? Check permissions on the share you created. Try with setenfore permissive