CentOS doesn't recognize bootable usb

Issues related to applications and software problems
piscean72

CentOS doesn't recognize bootable usb

Post by piscean72 » 2017/08/13 20:50:46

HI,
I didn't pay attention to the advicethat CentOS is not for beginners and installed CentOS on top of Ubuntu. Ubuntu was able to recognize the bootable USB I had created using rufus on windows. After struggling for a longtime to enable wi-fi in centos, I decided to go back to Ubuntu. I created a b\ootable usb ubun tu installer.

However, when I reboot, centos, it does not boot from USB, and launches the OS from Disk. How can I install ubuntu or another linux distribution from USB ? Does the bootable usb needs to be created in Cent OS or can I use ufus on windows to create the bootable disk and install another linus distribution (clean and get rid off centos).

I am stuck. Please help.

Spork Schivago

Re: CentOS doesn't recognize bootable usb

Post by Spork Schivago » 2017/08/14 05:12:16

You might want to just try formatting the thumb drive and trying again. Installing CentOS shouldn't affect the boot options. Your BIOS determines what device to try and boot and in what order. If you were able to boot of a USB thumb drive originally, and your Ubuntu installation wasn't messed up to the point where it wouldn't start to boot, I'd say your BIOS was successfully configured to try and boot off thumb drives first.

I would try to start over fresh. If you feel more comfortable with Windows, format the thumb drive in Windows and use Rufus to create your bootable Ubuntu thumb drive. You might want to check in the BIOS, just to make sure it's configured to boot from thumb drives first. CentOS shouldn't have touched the BIOS, so I can't really see how your boot order would have gotten messed up. This makes me think it's maybe something with the thumb drive.
-- Niklaus Wirth's Law: software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster.

owl102

Post by owl102 » 2017/08/14 06:28:25

German speaking forum for Fedora and CentOS: https://www.fedoraforum.de/

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2017/08/14 06:44:53

piscean72 wrote:However, when I reboot, centos, it does not boot from USB, and launches the OS from Disk.
That is not an OS problem. It is the legacy BIOS or UEFI that must recognize the bootable medias The selection what to load is made before any OS is loaded.

BIOS/UEFI loads bootloader, like GRUB. Bootloader can show a menu of OS's too. Bootloadder loads an OS. That is not the menu that you want.

The BIOS/UEFI usually defaults to one bootable media, but offers a shortcut key to show a "BIOS boot menu". If the USB is not listed, then there is a problem in the USB (or "boot from removable" is disabled in BIOS/UEFI). If rufus can create a bootable CentOS USB, then it should be able to create a bootable Ubuntu USB too.

Know thy BIOS/UEFI.