Can't update lightdm

Issues related to applications and software problems
jjblanch

Re: Can't update lightdm

Post by jjblanch » 2017/09/06 16:08:30

Considering your answers, I have decided to enable the cr repo

I need lightdm because it is the only display manager that works fine with XDMCP

I will install rdo openstack on top of it

Wish me luck

Josep

Blackknight

Post by Blackknight » 2017/09/06 16:21:08

Have you tried using sddm instead? I'm not familiar with XDMCP but it may be a good alternative to lightdm.

upnort

Post by upnort » 2017/09/06 20:09:50

The lightdm packages should not have been pushed until the entire CR repo is pushed.

I tested updating in my CentOS 7 Virtualbox VM, which I use a lot to access work systems. Updating glib2 broke VirtualBox. I lost the desktop icon for my shared folder. Caja stopped displaying the shared folder in the Places panel. Reinstalling the Guest Additions (GA) provided no remedy. Curious, I next installed the entire CR flood and again reinstalled the GA. I still had no desktop icon. I lost the seamless mouse and clipboard integration. I am unable to get anything beyond a standard 1024x768 screen resolution.

Digging around the web indicates this a common problem. The change is caused by a combination of the new kernel and Xorg packages. A VirtualBox update is required but the packages are still in beta.

Yay for backups to restore the VM.

This was all in a VirtualBox environment and not bare metal or a Linux container. Now that I've been bitten, I will be holding my breath as I update production bare metal systems and containers when the CR packages are pushed to base and epel. :(

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/09/06 20:13:44

The lightdm packages should not have been pushed until the entire CR repo is pushed.
We don't have control over that. They come from EPEL and EPEL builds against RHEL not against CentOS.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

upnort

Post by upnort » 2017/09/07 15:12:40

We don't have control over that.
Yes, I know. :)

systemdCottboy

Post by systemdCottboy » 2017/09/08 07:25:36

TrevorH wrote:That package comes from EPEL who track RHEL 7.4 not CentOS and as CentOS 7.4 is not yet GA, you cannot install it that way. You either need to enable the CR repo and update to what will be CentOS 7.4 when it goes GA or you need to track down and use the previous EPEL lightdm packages.
Thank you. I hope I can trust yum in telling me that it is not security update so I can use current lightdm and wait for CentOS 7.4.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/09/08 13:52:36

I hope I can trust yum in telling me that it is not security update
There is no security metadata in the CentOS repos so yum does not know anything about security or otherwise related patches on CentOS. EPEL does supply this info so lightdm probably does have this info but do not rely on this for CentOS supplied packages.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

orcus-de

Post by orcus-de » 2017/09/09 14:05:48

As I did not want to get everything updated to the newer versions from CR, I did not update enabling CR generally, but limited the update just to glib2 alone using:

Code: Select all

yum --enablerepo=cr update glib2
After that a regular update worked fine using

Code: Select all

yum update
cheers orcus-de

PS: using the update system since some days (only using most of the time codeblocks and regulare applications) I noticed no drawbacks/regressions with it.
orcus (-de) - by the light of the night

MartinR

Post by MartinR » 2017/09/11 15:32:43

Folks,

I understand from another newsgroup that CentOS will move from CR to full release once the ISOs are built. From the same newsgroup I further understand that the person responsible for building them lives in Corpus Christi, Texas.* Extra patience at this time is advised!

Martin

*See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Harvey if you need a bigger hint.

systemdCottboy

Post by systemdCottboy » 2017/09/18 13:21:26

TrevorH wrote:
I hope I can trust yum in telling me that it is not security update
There is no security metadata in the CentOS repos so yum does not know anything about security or otherwise related patches on CentOS. EPEL does supply this info so lightdm probably does have this info but do not rely on this for CentOS supplied packages.
I have been using yum update --security only for few months. I started to use yum update after some time and big amount of files including kernel were updated. Could my CentOS be compromised now ?