Windows Domain Controllers can't see samba shares

Issues related to applications and software problems
ahitch

Windows Domain Controllers can't see samba shares

Post by ahitch » 2017/10/01 18:28:28

Hi everybody.
I'm new to this forum, so please feel free to direct me to the appropriate place to post this question regarding Samba.

I have a stand-alone Cent 7 box with established shares. It's on a domain network, but not a member of the domain (and can't be, for a variety of reasons). While all the workstations in the domain can see the shares and use them, the domain controllers can not (Windows Server 2012 and Server 2016).

The part that convinces me I'm doing something wrong is this:
There is a 3rd-party virtual machine on the network using an older Ubuntu (the guts of which, I have no access to...) with an established share that the DCs can see.
The domain "MEMBER" servers can see and use the shares, but as soon as I make one a domain controller, it can no longer browse the shares! They CAN see the netbios name in the browse list, but when attempting to access them, I get "Incorrect username or password". (the same username and password pair is being used on the workstations and non-DC boxes with no issue)

Either I'm doing something terribly wrong (which is what I suspect), or there's some weird incompatibility between Cent7 / Samba and Windows Servers.

SELINUX and Firewalld are disabled on the Cent box.
SMB and NMB are set to start.
Workgroup name is the same as the domain name.
security is set to "user"

It's only AFTER a server is made a domain controller when the problem appears, and ONLY on those machines!
Thanks!
-Al

ahitch

Re: Windows Domain Controllers can't see samba shares

Post by ahitch » 2017/10/02 12:19:18

Well....
Here's an update....

I'm pretty confused, at this point, but Ubuntu 16.4 works....

The smb.conf files are as identical as the different distros will let them be.... but Ubuntu with samba works.

My immediate issue is solved. Never the less, if someone has an idea as to what's going on, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks.

-Al

ahitch

Post by ahitch » 2017/10/08 18:58:22

Wow....
Interesting....

Am I the only one having this issue, or am I the only one in a commercial production environment?

I may have solved the issue at the client site, but the problem persists and can be duplicated at my other sites... Even via VM...

Anyone have any ideas?

ahitch

Post by ahitch » 2017/10/14 01:58:05

I'm dying here.....

94 views and not a single idea?

Has nobody got any ideas?

This is driving me nuts!

I've got an Ubuntu on site that allows the domain controllers to use the shares..... I don't really care for Ubuntu..... Cent has always been my go-to......

I'd REALLY like to find a solution... even if it's a Win-Doze issue!

What's the difference between the Ubuntu 16.4 flavor of Samba, and the Cent 7......?

Anybody????