Resolving recursive dependencies with yum

Issues related to applications and software problems
lakkurvarun

Resolving recursive dependencies with yum

Post by lakkurvarun » 2017/11/10 15:39:49

I am trying to install an RPM (say "new-package.rpm") which depends on an RPM (say "required-package.rpm") available on the EPEL repository. So general way of installing the RPM is:
1. Install "epel-release.rpm" first
2. Then install "new-package.rpm". This automatically pulls in the "required-package.rpm"

Is there a way I can change this such that installing "new-package.rpm" will install "epel-release.rpm" and then the actual dependency by playing around the spec file? Is there a way to complete this in one transaction rather than two steps I described above?

If I mention dependencies on both "epel-release.rpm" and "required-package.rpm", it won't work because (obviously). Yum doesn't know where "required-package.rpm" exists unless the epel repo file is installed by "epel-release.rpm".

pjsr2

Re: Resolving recursive dependencies with yum

Post by pjsr2 » 2017/11/10 17:16:59

No, you can't do that. "yum install epel-release" adds a new repository (the EPEL repository).
Only after this has been installed and the repos has been added, yum can retrieve the list of packages provided by the EPEL repository and can get the necessary information on the interdependencies of those packages.

lakkurvarun

Re: Resolving recursive dependencies with yum

Post by lakkurvarun » 2017/11/13 07:50:41

Thanks a lot