Latest version of Firefox

Issues related to applications and software problems
Kirk781

Latest version of Firefox

Post by Kirk781 » 2017/11/21 15:47:57

Currently, the repos contain the latest ESR release of Firefox. Is there any way to get the latest version of Firefox[currently at 57.0]. Debian also follows the same route however the experimental repo there contains the latest version of FF. The same isn't true for Cent OS[wouldn't it be better to have it atleast in the Software Collections ( SCL ) Repository?].

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Latest version of Firefox

Post by TrevorH » 2017/11/21 17:12:58

Redhat take care of building Firefox as it's a complicated package that often needs adjustment made to the build to allow it to operate with the sometimes older packages that are in the rest of the distro. The mozilla devs tend to be using the latest and greatest of everything so often there are things that need a bigger hammer to make them work with the older packages in RHEL.

The next ESR is due in the first half of 2018 and I wouldn't expect anything to appear before then.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

bonedome

Post by bonedome » 2017/11/22 17:22:25

Hello
Mozilla provide a binary package https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/all/ you'll have to run it from the command line or create a manual menu entry.
I might give it a try myself, see if it lives up to the (mozilla's) hype.
I must say the multiprocess system they now use is fantastic for using very little cpu :D ,
Edit: ok just tried it and yes it seems rapid, only thing being some of my most favoritest addons are not compatible (yet) so I'm happy to stick with the ESR version provided by CentOS for the time being.

Lazlow

Post by Lazlow » 2017/12/04 20:25:05

How was the speed on Centos? I usually have 2-4 windows (sites) open at a time and from version 37 to 52 it has steadily gotten slower(Xeon quad core). My media box runs Ubuntu and the speed jump on it was easily 2x(Celeron J series?). Usually I do not mind Centos being behind the curve but this time it is an issue for me. Tried Chrome, not a favourite. Opera tends to not like a couple of sites (especially my bank).

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/12/06 02:12:44

Kirk781 wrote:Currently, the repos contain the latest ESR release of Firefox. Is there any way to get the latest version of Firefox[currently at 57.0]. Debian also follows the same route however the experimental repo there contains the latest version of FF. The same isn't true for Cent OS[wouldn't it be better to have it atleast in the Software Collections ( SCL ) Repository?].
The current ver. of FF for CentOS is 52.5.0. No it is NOT the latest and greatest but it works without problems that I have experienced. On a backup server I'm still running I have Fedora 8 (!!!) and I have FF 12.0 (!!!) ... and before anyone asks, it still works. It you REALLY have to have the latest and greatest version you could download the firefox-57.0.1.tar.bz2 tarball from Mozilla and untar it. Can't say if it might break something. I try to install stuff via yum, and if, and only IF, I can find it in yum but is available as a tar file -- ex. rkhunter-, VMware-Player-, etc., etc., etc. -- then I resort to installing it via tar. Part of the reason I jumped from Fedora to CentOS was I hated living on the "Bleeding Edge" where I did a whole lot of "bleeding". CentOS might be somewhat behind the curve, but it is STABLE and it WORKS. FF 52.5.0 is more than good enough.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » 2017/12/13 13:42:07

I removed the Firefox rpm and put the latest version into /usr/local/firefox and a symbolic link into /usr/local/bin. Plenty for me, but you must make a manual entry into the Gnome applications menu.

bonedome

Post by bonedome » 2017/12/15 19:33:18

Hello
I'm not sure if multi process is enabled by default on the firefox ESR provided by CentOS, it's easy to enable if not.
click on Tools > Add-ons, in the top right corner it will say Multiprocess is enabled, if not, install this addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... r/?src=api and disable addons that are not compatible.
Type about:config in the url bar and type tabs.remote.autostart, double click to change value to true.
That's it
You can have up to 7 processes, in about:config type ipc.processCount double click and change value to 2 to 7.
It will not make your internet connection/download speed any quicker but your CPU will thank you.
I currently have 7 tabs open and top tells me firefox is using about 4 to 5% CPU and Web content 0.3 to 0.7

Code: Select all

%CPU%MEM                                             
     4.0 12.5  10:21.82 firefox            
     0.3  4.6   0:31.68 Web Content 
Previously my laptop fan would be keeping my house warm as it was working overtime cooling the CPU, now I've got to put the heating on.
Multi process is enabled by default on firefox 57

Lazlow

Post by Lazlow » 2017/12/15 20:22:00

Yeah, there was no multiprocessor note. Added the addon and it showed up. I shut down firefox and it still behaved the same. Had to cycle through the compatibility addon again to find all the multiprocessor incompatible addons(5 in my case). Some of the addons did not have a version that was both multiprocessor and V52 compatible.

While I generally understand the premise behind holding to older, more stable versions of stuff on Centos/Redhat this is one time that I think it is a definite error.

To the ones that posted that earlier version of FF (12?) still worked, the last time I booted my Commodore 64(several years ago) its web browser still worked. It was text only and limited to 10Mbps(?) but it still worked. There is a major difference in functionality, speed, and security between the outdated (or borderline outdated) versions and current versions. For "core" functionality I still think sticking with one version per release is a good idea, but for stand alone apps (FF, thunderbird, etc) they need to keep more current. This seems to become even more important as the rate of these apps updates are ever increasing and the release life expectancy of Centos/RHEL seems to be growing.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » 2017/12/16 13:32:45

Lazlow wrote: the last time I booted my Commodore 64(several years ago) its web browser still worked. It was text only and limited to 10Mbps(?) but it still worked.
Liar.

Lazlow

Post by Lazlow » 2017/12/16 16:02:41

Just google web browser commodore 64

The first link:

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/class ... modore-64/

There are dozens of links proving the the C-64 can and has surfed the web with various solutions.

Edit:
This Looks like what I had:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iccQZCxDd60